The Meaning of Life

Westminster Catechism

I don’t usually get choked up over doctrinal statements. But the first time I read this summary of the purpose of human life drafted by the Westminster Assembly, a gathering of English and Scottish clergy in 1646, something in me shouted, “Yes!” And that shout has never ceased to echo in my soul.

“Now this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.”

~John 17:3

26 Responses to The Meaning of Life

1. Eliza Ayres says:

Reblogged this on Blue Dragon Journal.

2. Alfiano Fong says:

I’d love to know the meaning of life. It sucks being suicidal.

3. I love this too, and I often repeat it to myself, as a reminder of why I was created. I think this reflects the mind of Christ. Thank you for sharing this with us! 🙂

4. Bob & Jo Martin says:

AMEN

5. “The glory of God is man fully alive.” St Irenaeus

I, too, was taken by surprise when first encountering the Westminster Catechism, especially the part about enjoying God forever. I wouldn’t have blinked if the framers had chosen to conclude their statement with “love God forever” or “serve God forever.” But “enjoy?” Now I realize the abundant, life DOES rest on a foundation of rejoicing–in the character and works of our God (John 10:10; Philippians 4:4).

7. nancyehead says:

Amen and alleluia!

8. farmgirl says:

Knowing the only true God AND the one whom HE sent.. ever wonder who God is? This clearly states that 2 people we need to get to know. If you have an older king james you can learn who his is at psalms 83:18. Learning about his purposes and his will will allow us to glorify him. http://www.jw.org has a ton of free material on depression and suicide as well. Hope you will enjoy this free resource.

• mitchteemley says:

To anyone reading the above comment: Please note that it is from the Jehovah’s Witnesses, an organization that teaches that God the Father and Jesus Christ are two separate gods. They teach their followers that they alone accurately interpret the Bible, and to support that claim, they created their own translation (disputed by virtually all biblical scholars) in order to support their interpretations.

9. Life is so short so we just enjoy while we are still young.