What Is It About Doorways?

What is it about doorways? As surely as doors have handles and hinges, they have feelings attached, as well. Wonder. Doubt. Hope. Fear. No doorway is ever just a doorway. It’s an opportunity or an obligation. A way into someone else’s life, or a return to our own. A beginning or an ending.

(Click on any image to enlarge it, or to begin slideshow)

“Every doorway, every intersection has a story.” ~Katherine Dunn

“Enchanted worlds still exist because the child within us never dies.              The doorways may be more obscure, but we can still seek them out.” ~Ted Andrews

“Look on every exit as being an entrance somewhere else.” ~Tom Stoppard

“If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern.” ~William Blake

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” ~Matthew 7:7

“Be an opener of doors” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

This entry was posted in Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to What Is It About Doorways?

1. Eliza Ayres says:

Reblogged this on Blue Dragon Journal.

2. atimetoshare.me says:

Love this post. Doors can be difficult to open sometimes. Especially when they’re our own.

• 1geno1 says:

Here’s one I struggle with:

John 12: 24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a grain of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abides alone: but if it die, it brings forth much fruit. 25 He that loves his life shall lose it; and he that hates his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. 26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be.

That’s also a paradox… “If you wish to live, then you must die!”

I believe the great majority of western “believers” struggle with that doorway, if they ever think about it.

• mitchteemley says:

Yes, and Jesus’ insistence upon it is unremitting. Unless we die to our old selves we can’t become new creations.

• Jon says:

John 10:7 – So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I AM the door of the sheep.

3. They can be entrances or exits. They can keep us in or keep us out. The ability to read is the greatest door opener of all.

4. I love doorways and doors….beautiful!

5. Gary Fultz says:

“Just remember son, some doors have no handle on the other side” (mom, when I started dating)

6. anitashope says:

Super interesting doors. Loved the one in the mountains.

7. terrepruitt says:

Oh, I just LOVE that cat tail door handle!

8. Wow! What an impressive curation job! As splendid as the images are, my favorite is the dog letting his buddy into the house.

9. I love this, Mitch. You always find a way to stretch my mind using the seeming simple things, like doors.

Under your blog, there’s a section titled, “More on Mitch Teemley” and one of the posts highlighted in one you wrote in April of this year titled, “Discipleship is Dangerous.” I read it and in it you talked about the cross being the doorway to discipleship and it not being only about who Jesus is, but who I am.

Doors have a way of showing us the way, transforming us/telling us there is more–whether an erroneous way or THE way. I loved that post and saw how it fit beautifully with this one. An image of a cross as door would have a sweet little wink to that post!

Thanks for stretching me and causing me to reflect deeper on the things often taken for granted!

Karyn

10. Every closed door is the opportunity for a door to open.

11. Nancy Buker says:

I enjoyed every door, thanks for taking the time to send this. You know what I like

12. Lisa Beth says:

Fabulous, never saw these before! Thanks for display!

13. Excellent compilation. There are some deep thoughts in there. Worthy of a poem. 🙂

14. laronda65 says:

This was a fun post! I have a collection like this on Pinterest. I’ve never understood why. I just like them! One thing I know I like, though, is that they can be a canvas. Fun, beautiful, whimsical, majestic, enigmatic. One of the first things I thought of is the way older movies used a closed door to create a sense of tension and horror when they didn’t know what was on the other side of the door – something hideous? And hw much more terrifying was it when we only heard the sounds of something horrible happening. That’s where all secrets are contained, isn’t it? I also remember the surprise an old friend shared wit me after my mother’s death that there had been no doors on any of our rooms except the bathrooms – and they never shut completely. And it was an 18-room house! It seemed normal to me since I’d never gone to anyone else’s house until after high school; but I know it was behind closed doors that she’d been molested as a child. So her idea of safety left us without a sense of privacy. Isn’t it amazing, the power of a door?