Animals: What are They Thinking?

Have you ever wondered what animals are thinking? More than we realize, actually (see facts after pics below). What’s up with these guys?

(Click on any image to enlarge, or to start slide show)

Did you know that…

• Cats imitate crying babies, called “solicitation purring,” in order to get food or petting, knowing that humans consider it more urgent than regular meowing.
  • Dogs prefer to do their business facing north. They can detect Earth’s magnetic fields (magnetoreception). But why?
  • Cows face north or south when they graze. Like dogs, they have magnetoreception. Think of it as GPS (Grazing Positioning System). But again, why?
  • Koala fingerprints are indistinguishable from those of humans, and have sometimes been confused with human prints in break-in investigations.
  • Crows are tricksters. A Swiss Zoologist observed a crow punking a more dominant raven by pretending there was cheese in an empty container, then sneaking away while the raven looked there, and raiding a container he knew to be full.
  • Apish addicts. Tori, an Indonesian orangutan, throws tantrums when she doesn’t get her daily tobacco fix at the zoo! Vervet monkeys in St. Kitts crave fermented sugar cane, sometimes going on benders and stealing alcohol from local resorts.
  • Rats make giggling sounds when they are tickled, and beg for more!
  • Pony Mimes? Horses vocalize for humans, but primarily converse facially with one another, using their ears, nostrils, and eyes to express themselves.
  • Operatic Mice. The Alston’s Singing Mouse of Central America communicates with others in sing-song conversations, using around 100 audible notes.
  • Bottlenose dolphins are also chatterboxes, and have personal names for each other.
  • Killer whales have regional dialects, but adapt them to the community they live in. Orcas housed with bottlenose dolphins have learned to speak Dolphin.
  • Cows are folksy. They have BFFs, and show great distress when separated from them. They also like slow, gentle music, and produce more milk when it’s played.
  • Alligators like manatees (reason unknown), and will usually politely move aside to let manatees swim past and ahead of them.
  • Baby elephants suck their trunks for comfort and security, just as human babies suck their thumbs.
  • Juvenile delinquent elephants. Young elephants sometimes join gangs, harassing older elephants and other animals. African park rangers have instituted “big brother” programs, pairing them with older elephants to teach them to be respectful.
  • Octopuses have incredible memories, and strong preferences for certain humans. But they’re fickle among their own kind, never settling on a single mate. This is probably due to the fact that they have three hearts (true).

This entry was posted in Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Animals: What are They Thinking?

1. The farther along I got with the pictures and commentaries, the louder I was laughing! Oh, my gosh, my stomach hurts!

2. Eliza Ayres says:

Reblogged this on Blue Dragon Journal.

3. rabirius says:

Reminds me on that Talking Heads song on Fear of Music.

4. revruss1220 says:

Amazing! I would love to reblog, if I may.

5. revruss1220 says:

Reblogged this on Russellings of the Spirit and commented:
    This is some good “food for thought” for your dreary Saturday…

6. anitashope says:

Fantastic pictures. Aren’t animals fun?

7. Great images. I’ve often wondered what animals were thinking, especially cows. If you’re a stranger to them, they don’t hide their distrust. I don’t think a person could ever win a staring contest with a cow.

Also: Who knew an octopus has 3 hearts?!!

8. TEP336 says:

In the creation account of Genesis, it is noted that certain types of animals were created differently than others. I’ve heard them referred to as “soulish”. It would seem that God granted them a higher level of intelligence, and perhaps a certain level of sentience. What’s most interesting about that is the fact that most of those animals aren’t normally found on our menu. I mean, of the animals you’ve listed, only cattle and octopi appear regularly on our menu (though I absolutely abhor octopus). It’s really fascinating how much depth they show in their intellect, and how myopic we humans can sometimes be. By the by, while equine communication is primarily done through facial expressions and body language, they actually do vocalize to each other as well.

9. “I’m smarter than I look. Really.” 😀

10. Some interesting stuff my friend. I only knew the one about the Koalas.

11. These posts are always so funny. This one reminded me of a short video I think you would like. It is only 18 sec: https://youtu.be/Bkq1PAyGuZY
    Let me know what you think 🤣

12. kirby0311 says:

Great post. Where would we be without animals?

13. Pingback: Animals: What are They Thinking? – Golden Gateway

14. SarahC says:

Funny pics thanks for share😁

15. These remind me of the book Furry Logic by Jane Seabrook. She does the most wonderful animal drawing with perfect captions. I often give it to those who need cheering up.

16. carhicks says:

Love all these pictures and fact. God’s creations never fail to amaze and amuse. Thanks for sharing.

17. Christi says:

Who tickles a rat?!

18. Ann Coleman says:

Great pics! But you know, sometimes I think it’s a good thing we don’t know exactly what animals think, especially our pets. I could just picture what goes on in Finn’s head…”Sure, she won’t give me another treat because she says I’ve had enough. She says she doesn’t want me to get fat. But honestly, has she looked in a mirror lately?????” LOL!

19. Amazing pictures and facts. Thanks for share! 😊

20. smzang says:

This post slows the world to a peaceful pace and brings a smile from the inside.
    wonderful!!

21. Cherryl says:

Really really interesting post Mitch – I often jokingly say – ‘if only animals could talk to us – I wonder what they’d say’ lol – they have plenty of emotion and personality so I’m sure it would be very interesting to hear their thoughts 🦉🙈🐧

22. gpavants says: