Mooning Around

Luna Moth 9-15-19Last week during Harvest Moon, I found this big fat Luna Moth caterpillar—also known as a Moon Moth—in my garden. He was the first of his kind I’d ever seen–and apparently I was the first of my kind he’d ever seen (he thoroughly explored my hand). When I found him, Luna was working his way up one of my new Moonshadow plants. I transferred him to a bigger bush, and am still looking for the beautiful winged version of him.

So, what did all this moonishness mean? Probably nothing, but I found it amusing. And, no, I didn’t dance by moonlight or sacrifice anything. However…

Speaking of moonlight, this coming Monday (“Moon Day” in Old English) is the start of our Autumnal Equinox, the day when the moon gets equal time with the sun—before initiating those cool, moony Autumn nights to come.

So don’t moon around. Spread your wings…

flat,800x800,075,f.u2Luna Moth in its final (imago) form

…and have a wonderful End of Summer weekend!

This entry was posted in Humor and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Mooning Around

1. Eliza Ayres says:

Reblogged this on Blue Dragon Journal.

2. New starts? Full moon moving onto a new path???

3. Laura says:

I love butterflies/moths. I’ve only seen a luna moth twice. Never a caterpillar. A student living with me found a dead luna moth and brought it home for me. I have it on display.

4. smzang says:

I love those autumn evenings, sweater cool and lit only by the moon.
    Of course in a perfect world, there would be a bonfire and the code of a
    lingering firefly.

“Mooning Around” poem sets me to soaring.

5. I’ve never seen one before. Thank you Mitch. How lucky you are. 🌺🌸

6. It has been a big Butterfly season here on MD’s Eastern Shore. I’ve seen a few of these Moon Moths already this year. I had a plant box, 4×8 above ground, waist-high that I did not plant. Onion sets were in last year and I just let it go. Well. the onions came back in an act of vengeance, I let it go, gorgeous deep blue flowers abounded and the butterflies were plentiful. An old friend in Camden, ME posted this Friday the 13th snapshot of facebook. Like me, an old retired CT Trooper and a professional photographer. It’s worth a look. Let us see what this quarter brings. I always enjoy your Blogs, Mitch. Semper Fi

7. I have seen them they are brown not green and as big as my index finger.

8. Erika Kind says:

Such a beautiful creature. I love caterpillars and of course what they become later. You both were really lucky meeting each other.

9. Oh, when we will eventually be butterflies!!!!

10. So jealous! I have been looking for one of those guys for years!

11. Bill Sweeney says:

You haven’t lost your childlike imagination and curiosity, Mitch. That’s what makes you such a great writer.

12. It is so great that you had this experience. Here in Texas, we have the Monarchs, and they are a marvel to observe. Many many of them.

13. Mischenko says:

That’s amazing. I love seeing what they morph into and this is one I’ve never seen in real life. Thanks for sharing, Mitch.

14. YBP says:

Mitch, how wonderfully shared. As always! You have this unbelievably awesome gift of helping us realize that there’s just really more to see, explore, and embrace in life. How I love looking at life through your eyes! ❤️💚💜💙💛

15. JanBeek says:

This reminded me of one of my favorite children’s picture books: Stella Luna. Do you know it? I loved teaching children about caterpillars and butterflies, having them in the classroom and watching the metamorphosis. Fascinating! Isn’t nature wonderful?