A Filmmaker’s Journal

I’m working on finishing the novelization of my screenplay Over-the-Rhine, a drama about addiction, death, and forgiveness (you can watch the trailer here). I’m striving to keep it real and honest, while wondering if Christian readers, like faith-based moviegoers, will find it too real (I’ll probably end up with a secular publisher). After the movie Over-the-Rhine’s premiere, I wrote about the audience’s response (below).

Have we finally come of age?

Mitch Teemley

Something Real

ICFF Award“Faith-based” movies are in the toddler stage. Hollywood only began to realize there was a large audience for such films when The Passion of the Christ sold massive numbers of tickets to churchgoers in 2004. But it wasn’t until Fireproof, a low-budget indie written and directed by a Baptist minister, made almost $40 million in 2008 that faith-based movies became a recognizable box office phenomenon.

They’re still learning to walk. Almost every faith-based film released has been criticized for ringing false, for being more concerned with being inoffensive than with creating something real. And there’s more than a little truth in the criticism.

We knew our film was different—it has a grittiness that is unfamiliar in religious movies—so we didn’t expect to win any awards. We just hoped to find out how movie-goers would respond. And we were overjoyed when Over-the-Rhine’s premiere audience cheered as the…

View original post 248 more words

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Movies, Popular Culture & Entertainment, Religion/Faith, Writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to A Filmmaker’s Journal

1. TEP336 says:

I haven’t seen this movie, yet. I need to remedy that problem and soon.

2. RM says:

I am blown away by the trailer, and pissed off that it too me this long to know this movie existed. But then, there is so much in this world that we are yet to experience. That’s beauty of it, right?

My views about faith put aside, the story appears to be thought provoking.
    Where can we see the movie?

3. Kim Smyth says:

What fantastic news, can’t wait to see the film!

4. I hope this gets released soon. It look powerful!

5. mitchteemley says:

Thank you, Sharon.

6. Mischenko says:

The trailer captivated me! I can’t wait to see the film. My family are huge faith-based film fans. Fireproof is a regular one in our house as well as all the other Kendrick brother movies.

Over the Rhine looks excellent! Very excited for you. Congrats, Mitch! 👍😊

7. lynnabbott says:

Love this! Have been waiting and watching for the release for some time now! So glad to know I haven’t missed it! Wonderful photo of you and your beautiful bride, by the way! 🙂 Congratulations!!

8. Ann Coleman says:

I’m glad that Hollywood is finally realizing that there is a huge audience for faith-based films, and also that people like you are writing them realistically, “warts” and all! We live in the real world, even as Christians, and we need books and movies that reflect that, I think. Great photo of you two!

9. I looking forward to watching it! 🧡