What is Freedom?

eagle_for_freedom-wallpaper-1920x1080-1

July 4th is Independence Day in my country, the date on which we officially celebrate our freedom. But that’s not enough. Freedom must be celebrated, protected, and exercised every day.

Freedom is Necessary

“Life without liberty is like a body without spirit.” ~Kahlil Gibran

“I am no bird; no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” ~Charlotte Brontë

“When I discover who I am, I’ll be free.” ~Ralph Ellison

Freedom is Responsibility

“Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot are fools, and those who dare not are slaves.” ~George Gordon Byron (Lord Byron)

“The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.” ~Coco Chanel

“Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.” ~Sigmund Freud

Freedom isn’t Free

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” ~Benjamin Franklin

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you’re fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom.” ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

“We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it.”    ~William Faulkner

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.” ~Ronald Reagan

Unshared Freedom is Tyranny

“If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.” ~Noam Chomsky

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.” ~C. S. Lewis

“For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.” ~Nelson Mandela

“You were called to freedom; but do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh. Rather, serve one another in love.” ~Galatians 5:13

My Freedom Will Never be Complete Until All are Completely Free

“When you get these jobs that you have been so brilliantly trained for, just remember that your real job is that if you are free, you need to free somebody else.” ~Toni Morrison

“A nation should not be judged by how it treats its highest citizens, but it’s lowest ones” ~Nelson Mandela

“Freely we serve
Because we freely love, as in our will
To love or not; in this we stand or fall.” ~John Milton

“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

~John 8:32

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to What is Freedom?

1. Good quotes, especially the Scriptures, of course.
    Ronald Reagan’s is particularly sobering.

2. IanC555 says:

This one I found very much in consideration of a great challenge these days, and I LOVE the author of this quote; Narnia wouldn’t be so bad, but the lands beyond the oceans end…That’s where I’m heading.

Another quote (originator unknown to me). “The more rules we make the more prisoners we create.”

Lastly, in the prison system, the singular focus is only “Security” and by Proxy, “Safety.” And there is no freedom in a prison for these reasons. I hate paradox! Ugh!!!

Great great GREAT post, Mitch. Thanks. Happy Independence Day!!

3. smzang says:

Of course John said it first and best but I gotta tell you, at the age of eleven I was madly in love with Byron. Not the man, he was somewhat of a scoundrel, I hear, but his poetry absolutely made me swoon. I had not heard that quote before. After all these years, I have a new appreciation for him.

4. revruss1220 says:

Excellent reminders! Happy Freedom Day to you, too. Today and tomorrow and the day after that forever!

5. “Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed…John 8:36

6. cindy knoke says:

It is a frightening time for our country. I enjoyed all of these quotations and the sentiments behind them.

7. anitashope says:

Wonderful quotes on the love, courage, cost and necessity of freedom.

8. numrhood says:

galatians 5:11 hide the word in your heart
    john 33:07 call unto thee
    john 7:32-33
    john 8:33

9. Good quotes. I also like Nikki Haley’s about donning body armor every day.

10. laronda65 says:

I think our country has an inadequate understanding and appreciation of our freedom. We cannot fathom living in a world where freedom is not an option. And it breaks my heart that some people who who are so blatantly criticize our government do not understand that that freedom to criticize is an amazing gift hard won by people who signed a blank check to our country. And the families of those service members sacrificed, too.

11. All good, especially under your heading Unshared Freedom is Tyranny. May have to use a few.

12. “Freedom”

“Freedom is the measurable distance, between you and your watch, wallet, phone & keys.”

– me

13. Tien Skye says:

Wonderful selection of quotes!

14. gpavants says:

Preach it, brother! Free at last, free at last, God Almighty I am free at last!