Do Not Be Afraid

Joseph’s brothers sold him into slavery. He was tempted to give in to despair. (Who wouldn’t be?) But he chose instead to trust the God he knew would never abandon him.

Divine irony: Two decades later his brothers came to Egypt in the midst of famine to throw themselves at the mercy of the great Vizier–only to learn he was the brother they had betrayed! Emotionally shattered and fearing for their lives, they begged him for forgiveness. And Joseph replied:

Presentation1

Joseph looked past the duplicity of humans, and placed his trust in God alone. Do we? Do we forgive those who misunderstand us and attempt to harm us, “being fully persuaded that God is able to do what he has promised”? (Romans 4:21)  Do we trust that no matter what others intend, God intends it for good? Do not be afraid.

“He will never leave you nor forsake you.”

~Deuteronomy 31:8

25 Responses to Do Not Be Afraid

1. Well said. So, so true too! 🙂

2. IanC555 says:

THANKS MITCH!

You asked, “Joseph looked past the duplicity of humans, and placed his trust in God alone. Do we? Do we forgive those who misunderstand us and attempt to harm us?”

I thought about what you ask here. What came quickly to mind is: Mercy! Joseph was the youngest brother, son to Jacob. His brothers envied Joseph and had no Mercy for envy. Later, Joseph was second only the pharaoh. By this point, Joseph had everything, and his brothers – nothing. Mercy is forgiving the transgression of those who can not compare to you/us. And I wonder the reason why we have so little mercy in the world, that through Christ…we do not see we are all equal, and in this…no mercy would be needed…in Christ. Christ…IS VERY MERCIFUL! How do we see one another, then, if we have mercy?
    And of those poor and wretched, how are they forgiven amongst themselves?

Christ was such a wondrous man! He walked on Water…Literally! The law that he said was greatest is to love God with all that we have. The second; love thy neighbor as thy self.

Joseph loved his brothers very much. And he loved God even more! Love God with all of yourself, and the rest takes care of itself.

Thanks for reminding me of this, Mitch. you have my gratitude. Good Sunday to you.

3. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

And that is why we look to the Lord and not people’s responses to things. Fickle is not one of the Lord’s character traits. I love that when we take Jesus at His word we are taking living active words into our lives.

Awesome thoughts!

Gary

4. True! I was just sharing on another blog how I had been subtly eliminated from a ministry I had helped found, and which had become my life (idol?). I found myself suddenly without a ministry and plagued by a spirit of rejection which gave me a lot of sleepless nights. During those sleepless nights I started to write, and I’d say about half of my first full-length novel was written between the hours of 2:30 and 5:00 A. M. during that season. Whatever the motives of the people who pushed me out of that ministry, now that I’m close to publishing my fifth book, I thank God they did what they did.

5. Lee Kurui says:

Amen @Mitch, soo powerful message, it was the plan of God indeed…the process of making..thanks again for this word

6. When we’re in the middle of the pain, it’s hard to see how God will redeem the present moment. When you look back in life, its so much easier to see how God turned around the evil intent and brought good out of it. I love the grace in Joseph who had eyes to see what God was doing.

7. revruss1220 says:

Thanks for that reminder and “nudge.” You are reading my mail once again.

8. numrhood says:

genesis 25:44-46
    romans 4:46
    dueteronomy 56:33
    when i am afraid
    thou shall trust in thee

9. Pastor Randy says:

Joseph is one of my Old Testament Mentors, and Hero! I have had many experiences where someone meant to harm me–and it is Joseph’s words that held bitterness at bay. And, I might add, I discovered the Good that God intended for my life. Thanks, it brings up memories of God’s faithfulness to me….

10. Pingback: Do Not Be Afraid | Mitch Teemley – Smart Christian.net

11. nancyehead says:

Joseph is such a great example to us. I’ve loved his story for years! Thanks, Mitch! God bless!

12. Re-Farmer says:

That image so powerfully captures the emotion of the moment. ❤

13. God intends it for good. So very true. Never ever doubt his workings as He is preparing us for a safe landing.

14. Sorry to go off subject Mitch, but I’ve just
    been reading much how much of so called
    ‘academia’ have a thing for denying the
    level, even the very existence of slavery
    when it comes to Egyptian history.
    Specifically when it comes to the building
    of the Pyramids. It is clearly an attempt to
    discredit the biblical account. These
    scholars never seem to dispute the integral
    part slavery played in the economy, the
    social structure, of all the other ancient
    civilizations, such as Rome. Just Egypt.
    Very curious. To search for the truth,
    perhaps it helps to lay down all opinionated
    preconceptions, and be a meek seeker 😎