Intermittent Fasting

thNTCT7FHI

I didn’t know IF was a thing when I started doing it. I’d read that a major study proved intermittent fasting (basically, eating just one meal a day) could increase longevity by around 20%. And since I come from a long line of short-lived men (Dad died at 45, both grandpas at around 60), I thought “What the heck?”

A little background: I’m a bit of a health nut, exercising regularly and choosing natural (slow) foods over junky (fast) foods (confession: I do have a weakness for sugar). Also, I’d already switched to eating two meals a day when I was cast in the romantic lead in a feature film a few years back–pot bellies and romance don’t go particularly well together on camera.

I adopted a modified approach, eating one meal a day—dinner with my beloved—four times a week, and orgiastically indulging in two meals on the other days!

Results? Wow! The bennies have been impressive, although if you do this your results will undoubtedly differ—for starters, I have two problems you may not have (1 and 2 below). Here are my bennies, using the oh-so-clever acronym AAWSTLO:

1. Acid stomach: I’d been on Prilosec for years. It magically reduced acidity, but also risked creating long term side-effects, so my doctor switched me to Zantac (less magical, but safer). Interestingly, I’ve since discovered that my digestive tract “resets” each day, allowing me one acid-free meal without the assistance of a of lab-produced substance!
  2. Allergies: For years I suffered from a mysterious morning allergy (an allergist couldn’t figure it out). To wit, my nose ran non-stop every morning. Year round. It always happened, no matter what foods I ate (or avoided). But when I began IF-ing, my “allergy” mysteriously disappeared! (I’m still apparently allergic to breakfast, but can handle it almost symptom-free a few times a week.)
  3. Weight loss: I’ve slowly shed 18 pounds over the last half year or so, and guess what? It turns out my chest and stomach are actually separate parts of my body! No six-pack yet, but I’ve managed a 2pac (although I still can’t rap).
  4. Special event: Now that I eat less often, I enjoy eating more than ever (surprise, surprise)! I look forward to meals, plan them, and savor them. (Food: “It’s about time he learned to appreciate us!”)
  5. Time: Preparing to meals, eating, and cleaning up take time!
  6. Longevity: I’m going on faith here. Check back with me in another 30 years or so.
  7. Other advantages: Mental clarity, attitude enhancement, spiritual focus (there’s a reason fasting was a thing in Jesus’ day, too), joie de vivre… These are hard to quantify, but are arguably the best bennies of all. Plus, I like lists of 7.

No, I’m not selling a “plan,” I don’t have a system, and I don’t promise to chant for you. But if you really want to send me money, feel free.

This entry was posted in Humor, Memoir and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Intermittent Fasting

1. yakpro2015 says:

Your checks in the mail.LOL! For acid-reflux, try apple cider vinegar in water. about a teaspoon to tablespoon to 8 oz.

Joe

4480 Powderhorn Place Clermont, Florida 34711

mobile: 909.241.6088

SDG Soli Deo Gloria “To God Alone the Glory”

2. “I’m going on faith here!” Oh what a difference maker this is….

“Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers…3 John 2

Happy Journey Sir!!!

3. I accidentally starting IM’s when I started a new career. I love it and feel so good.

Over a year, down 2 skirt sizes.

Highly recommend and you summed it up so well Mitch!

4. revruss1220 says:

VERY cool! I used to do a 36-hour clear liquid fast once a week, but have since fallen off that wagon. Your post inspires me to give this approach a try. I have never had the acid stomach thing, but I can certainly stand to experience each of the other bennies you list here.

Thanks, man!

5. I’ve tried fasting, but it seemed so slow … (sorry, automatic response).

6. Mitch, great post. I was brought up in a farm family – 3 squares a day and lots of pies and cakes for dessert. I haven’t lived on a farm for many years, but habits die hard. I also believe we can benefit from breaking the “eating habit” and having a special meal once a day and eating only if we are hungry. I’d also send you a check, but I’m out of stamps and envelopes. 😁

7. This is very true.
    Healthy, clean lifestyle

8. revruss1220 says:

QUESTION: what sort of snacking (if any) do you allow yourself on the one-meal-a-day days?

9. So interesting! Thank you for the suggestion!

10. When I came back from the UK a couple of years ago, I started intermittent fasting just because I didn’t keep a lot of food around the house and ate a big meal once a day (I didn’t know it was a thing then). I ended up losing 27 pounds over several months. I’ve read of several studies showing people having lower incidents of heart disease.

By the way, Mitch, I just nominated you for a Sunshine Blogger Award on my site.

11. mitchteemley says:

I’m honored, Sean. I normally don’t do blogger awards anymore, but will think about it; you’re the third person whose given me a Sunshine Award nod lately, so maybe it’s “a sign.” ;>) At any rate, thank you!

12. Ron Bouchard says:

I am going on a backpack trip on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu with my brother and sister. Much of the time it is over 10,000 feet above sea level, hiking 8 or more miles a day, up, up,up and down, down, down. I live at 1300 feet above sea level. So I decided I really needed to trim the fat, though I do exercise regularly. So I tried intermittent fasting along with eliminating carbs. I lost 10 lbs. In three weeks. So, I concur with your results!
    Blessings,
    Ron Bouchard

13. Heidi Viars says:

I am trying to go with you here, Mitch … and I am thinking this might, just might, be doable … It might only hurt a little … when I cut the 14 meals/snacks/treats/you-deserve-this-now-things out of my day 😳

14. Ron Bouchard says:

Yes. I must give my sister the credit. She has a very successful business and asked my brother and I to come with her, all expenses paid! What could I say, but yes. She is a sweetheart and I am looking forward to spending the time with her and my brother. Pray that God will make the time together profitable for His Kingdom, as I don’t believe they know the Lord yet . . .
    Thank you!
    Ron

15. Ron Bouchard says:

By the way, are you going to post pics of you with the beard going on?
    Ron

16. IF is awesome! I do a 24 hour fast and a 20 hour fast, each once a week. It’s always nice to find someone else who does IF!

17. cricketmuse says:

Are Doritos still part of your fasting regime?

18. Yup I’m on board the fasting train, 3 times each week. Makes me feel “clean.”

19. Great info Mitch. This is a great practice if one does not try to make up for what had been missing. The desire to fill up and not sustain becomes the issue. The technic works well with trying to change other issues much like changing habits. This is what keeps you young and healthy.

20. Ann Coleman says:

Sounds as if that plan is really working for you! I’m not sure if I could do that or not, as when I skip a meal, I tend to get very hungry and eat more than I should at the next one. But I do believe that our bodies are different, and we all have to find a way to eat that works for us. I’m still working on finding the optimum plan for my body, but maybe someday…..

21. I practice IM fasting a couple or three times a week. It does help. I don’t snack as much and that great. Thanks.

22. gpavants says:

Great stuff, Mitch. I will pray this plan works well and you will have many creative years ahead. I hope this is a call from the Lord because I have many family health issues with longevity. Watching what we eat is important especially in the crazy society we are in. But the Lord wants us around to complete the work so timeless little keys that still work are there to use.

In Christ,

Gary

23. azuremorn says:

Nice points. Especially the sixth one. Hope to check back in case other facts favour!

24. I found my way to fasting through poverty. Money didn’t afford us the luxury of eating when we had little bellies to fill. The extreme starvation brought a spiritual awakening in which God entered my body and removed me from the usual perspective one has in their mind. He took me from my body and showed me visions of much that had to do with what I felt was the End of Time. It was an amazing experience but took it’s toll on my mind and body.

Since then, I have never found my way back to eating regularly. I now choose/force myself to eat one meal a day. I drink a thick coffee drink throughout the day for additional calories. And that’s just how I live. I don’t miss food nor do I enjoy the food that I eat when I force myself to do so. Truly if I could survive without sustenance that would be where my journey would take me, for I have no earthly desire to partake in sustenance that is not provided for all. I choose to be one that goes without rather than one who selfishly indulges while there is not enough to go around.

I think I’m living on around 750 calories a day on a good day. I don’t feel hungry. My sweet flavored coffee concoctions nurture the need for energy and fill the body with a gentle warmth that food never provides. The food gives me calories to take the medicine I need to maintain my sanity. I recognize going without too long leaves you open to malnutrition so when my body is craving something I listen to the call and feed it what it needs.

Since learning to live with next to no food, my life has become one spiritual awakening after another. God and His spiritual presence are alive around me. I feel the death of the food I was eating was closing my eyes to the life of the spiritual world. Releasing the negativity of food opened me to the overwhelming positivity the spiritual realm was beckoning me to listen to. I’m so glad to be awake and aware of what I had been missing for so long.

• mitchteemley says:

Praying for you, Alura. Be careful about the sugar and caffeine intake (I had to cut back to morning-only half-caf drinking years ago, due to insomnia and anxiety at night). And do please keep yourself properly nourished; I’m sure that helping the poor with our money and/or time is more appreciated by them than being malnourished ourselves. Blessings on your journey!

• I genuinely appreciate your concern. My coffee concoction is limited on the coffee. I take an 8 oz mug and fill it half full with hot coffee. I then add 2.5 tsp of sugar and 1 Tbsp of flavored creamer and then I fill the mug to the brim with 2% milk. It is this wonderfully full feeling concoction to take in. I feel more nourished drinking that than I do taking in my calories via food. I added up the sugar intake and it is only 17g per cup, far under the 35+g per 12oz serving of pop. I fall into bed exhausted at 9:30pm every night and I find myself needing a nap in the middle of the day. These are true of my nature before I found myself abstaining from sustenance.

My abstinence from food is a voluntary vow of poverty I have taken. The world we live is in blessed with abundance. And in the blessed abundance comes the cold ignorance of the deprivation of provision to those not lucky enough to have money to support their existence. And so as a vow to my God, to not be like all those who eat without concern for those going without, I solemnly give myself to fully abstaining from the pleasure of food and all the luxuries money provides.

I don’t rejoice to eat. I don’t thank my lucky stars I had food in front of me. I simply ask God that he take what I don’t want and make it available for those in more need than I am. I make it a choice to not need food so I don’t happen to take food that another needs. But sadly I live in a country of gross abundance where food gets thrown away by the masses. So while I recognize my abstaining from food will realistically make no difference at all to any one individual, it I my blinding hope that my sacrifice will enable God to bless all those unfortunate people that the people with more take from.

I sacrifice my health and my wellbeing for the better of others. On a soulful and spiritual and bodily way, every single day, in every single moment I am concentrated on focusing my energy on making choices that will lead to better days for those we care not to think about. I am not magic and I can’t change the world. But I can show God that there is one person who cares more about others than she does herself. Someone who is willing to willfully neglect her needs in a constant prayerful demand that judgement and justice be levied against the unworthy.