What is Worship?

presentation1

“The perfect church service would be one we were almost unaware of; our attention would have been on God.” ~C. S. Lewis

trinity

If you forget everything but God

you have remembered

everything that matters

21 Responses to What is Worship?

1. I wish all the church buildings were torn down so that Christians would have to meet in homes and worship. Maybe a nation-wide church burning (though I am not advocating it) would be good for us in the long run. I think the more intimacy we feel with each other, the more intimacy we can feel for God. Large congregations lend themselves to people vying for position and groupies and performances and etc., etc. But that’s just me.

• Sandi Staton says:

WOW! I so agree! Growing up, church was in the pastor’s home, then his garage, then in a huge tent while the little cinderblock building was being built. For many reasons, I don’t attend church anymore.

• Church politics. Whenever I hear someone say they dropped out of church, I reply, “Church politics?” and they say yes. I don’t care if it’s fightomg for poisition to do things up front, or if it’s people who have given up the fight, though they were as good or better than those who “won”. The people up front say they are glorifying God, but they have no idea how much they have deflated others who feel “I can’t live up to them” Or people who get sidetracked with the speeches and performances instead of intimacy swith God.
        Let’s go back to the livingrooms and garages. When we get too big, split up. It is not so important to show the world “how much we’ve grown”. but show people we invite to join us “how close we have drawn to Jesus, God materialized on earth.” Just saying.

• Sandi Staton says:

I agree! Yes, church polictics is the main reason I quit, plus a lot of hurt.

• I think, when people drop out, they should still set aside part of Sunday and worship alone at home. Otherwise, we are punishing Jesus for others hurting us. There are isolated Christians all over the world who have to worship alone. Do we do less? A Bible reading, a song, the Lord’s Supper, another Bible reading, another song, money set aside to help someone. Who knows? One of your friends may want to join you.

• Sandi Staton says:

Hubby and I have devotions together in the living room or back porch. Having gone to church all my life, spending time with God is extremely important to me.

• Sandi Staton says:

Thank you! Nice chatting with you!

2. Another great C.S. Lewis quote, thank you! My dad tried so hard to convince his parishioners that The Church wasn’t the building, it was the collective spirit loving God and serving him by helping those less fortunate. It appeared to be a losing battle, unfortunately.

3. I learned the hard way that church is not the building when my congregation split over whether the Bible is the inerrant word of God, and those of us who left the building to forge a new congregation ended up as nomads worshiping in a school cafeteria, rented space, and then another school’s gym. We finally have a space we’ve been in for awhile, but it’s in the corner of a strip mall. Not the usual “church” building. We are a close family of believers who make a point of leaving our building to serve. It was a difficult journey, but I think we better represent Christ’s church as a result.

4. Wow, amen, C.S. Lewis!

5. Amen and amen…..Lewis again!

6. anitashope says:

Its all about God. Not about us, not about the building; but I think it is very important to have group worship.

7. 'Kanmi says:

Spent some minutes sharing with the church last Sunday about worship. Oh that the church will see that all that truly matter is God alone.

8. A great quote from C.S. Lewis. It’s so amazing how often he hit the nail on the head!

And thanks for following my blog. I hope it is an encouragement to you.

9. Ann Coleman says:

Yes, worship is always about God. Although I admit that certain styles of worship make it harder for me to focus on God, but maybe that’s exactly why there are different types of churches and different worship styles? So we can each find what works for us?

10. Mitch, you have touched on a premise that has been a source of bewilderment. When we come to Jesus as a child, with open eyes and heart, the leaders want us to grow slowly, and maybe even not move on, as they try to keep us as children. When the ministry began, early, Jesus gave instruction on how to grow closer to His Father. I believe these lessons were well worth the effort.

11. Jo Martin says:

You recently asked “What is worship?” I suggest that worship is a two-step process. First we have to become extra-ordinarily aware of God’s presence, then react appropriately.

12. gpavants says:

Mitch,

Isn’t that what we are praying about? The focus is on a the Lord. Why is surrender such a battle?

In Christ,