I’m not a flaming liberal. I’m more of a smoldering moderate (and smoke-free at that). But when it comes to protecting my home planet, I tend to flare up a bit.
Pollution kills. We’re not just talking about the future here, we’re talking about right now. Pollution is killing people (and a whole lot of other creatures) in devastating numbers even as you read this! So, no, taking care of our home planet isn’t anti-industry or anti-economy, or anti-anything–it’s pro-life! And you don’t even have to believe in global warming to see there’s a problem. Here’s what pollution is doing to our planet right now:
- Over 7 million humans a year are dying from air pollution
- One quarter of all child deaths under age 5 are due to pollution
- People with medical conditions directly related to air, water, soil and other forms of pollution: 200 million
- People indirectly affected by pollutants (lower IQ, weakened immune system, etc.): approximately 2 1/2 billion
- The economic effect in lost labor and medical expenses (never mind the immeasurable cost in human suffering): tens of trillions of dollars.
This is what pollution does to our planet. Every. Single. Year. And that’s why I say,