Long Live the Spirit of Notre Dame!

th

“I once toured Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris and was astonished to see gargoyles (demons) all along its spectacular roofline. When I asked why they would include suchgargoyles-at-notre-dame symbols of evil, the translator replied, ‘Ho-ho, we do not embrace evil, monsieur, we mock it! You see, the demons are racing away!’ (Each gargoyle is countered by an angel directly opposite it inside.) ‘And,’ the translator added, ‘we humble them by making them serve as water spouts!’” ~from the blog post Is Halloween Evil?

I’m praying that the people of France will find a new sense of unity and purpose in restoring Notre Dame, one of the world’s most significant and sublime works of architecture. I’m also praying that, here in the midst of Holy Week, many will find a new sense of unity and purpose in rediscovering the faith it represents.

Vive l’esprit de Notre-Dame!

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Long Live the Spirit of Notre Dame!

1. Great post! Did you see the picture of the golden cross shining in inside after the fire? Breathtaking!

2. Amen. I remember touring it in 2012. Marvelous building and long history. I’m sure it will rise again and continue.

3. Ray Stiles says:

Hi Mitch, ironically, further to our recent correspondence on your movie and the predictions of Sir Isaac Newton and the Nostradamus Effect, do you believe the burning down during Holy Week of the gutted-out interior during reconstruction of the iconic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, (when the Catholic Church has been rocked by a widening paedophile scandal) maybe just another insurance scam or is it a sign of “end times” according to The Notre Dame Prophecy, or maybe a little of both?

• mitchteemley says:

I have no idea, Ray. I’m not aware of Isaac Newton making predictions (unless you mean scientific speculation) and I don’t follow Nostradamus. I’ve heard Notre Dame has no insurance coverage, so that wouldn’t make for much of a scam.

• (Reuters) – French insurance firm AXA said on Tuesday it provided insurance coverage for two of the contracting firms that were working on Notre-Dame’s restoration prior to the blaze that devastated the cathedral.

The fire ripped through the cathedral’s roof, where workers from a number of contractors had been carrying out extensive renovations to the spire’s timber-framed supports. Police have begun questioning the workers involved, the prosecutor’s office has said.

In a statement released on Tuesday, AXA said its staff were cooperating fully with investigators.

4. Pingback: Long Live the Spirit of Notre Dame! | Hebrews 13:2 NIV Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it! EASTER 2019

5. M.B. Henry says:

Some very lovely thoughts about this very sad tragedy. I was very emotional watching it unfold. I agree – the fires can’t burn the spirit behind it. That is some comfort!

6. carhicks says:

So sad. Lucky you to have had the opportunity to see it in all its glory.

7. Roy Lando says:

I can’t agree more. I am praying that the people of France and around the world will find reason to be united not only with respect for heritage but also respect for other people’s beliefs.

8. I didn’t realize that about the angels on the inside. I’m so relieved to see how much of the structure and art was saved. 🙂

9. boosdiet says:

10. boosdiet says:

I understand that Notre Dame is a historical building. But I do not understand where come from the rich peoe that give over 500 millions Euro? When must help poor people nobody cares

11. smilecalm says:

thank you for the tribute!
    a beautiful sacred space
    i visited long ago 🙂

12. Ann Coleman says:

As sad as it was to see this magnificent church burn, I was most touched by the videos of people kneeling and singing hymns together as they watched. Faith in the face of adversity….

13. Amen for sure to a prayer for renewed faith!
    I had never heard the response to your question on the gargoyles, and I’m an art teacher! Thanks!

14. Lucie says:

When the steeple toppled the tears slowly started to roll down my cheeks…😔

15. Dawn Renee says:

You may find this bit about gargoyles interesting: https://www.authenticireland.com/gargoyles/

16. VigyanPatel says:

will u follow me if u don’t mind

17. Daedalus Lex says:

I’m with you. It doesn’t take a practicing religious person to feel the power in that building. No artists before or since come close to the artists who built those medieval cathedrals for creating a complete and overwhelming mood, for facilitating transcendence. A great monument of art history for how it expresses, and how it touches, the human spirit.