Music from My Movies

15585373_10211190155290555_5342883738839868534_o

Impossible Love

The song Impossible Love plays a key role in my film Over-the-Rhine, as indeed it does in my life. Early in the movie, seventeen-year-old songwriter and drug addict Alec has a melody stuck in his head. He attempts to shape it into a conventional love song, but it refuses to bend.

Later, in the aftermath of a tragedy that Alec is largely responsible for, he realizes the song “isn’t about a girl,” and quickly finishes the lyrics in his jail cell. The novelization (which I’m currently working on) describes the moment this way:

He laughs at himself, and says aloud, “I’ll probably rewrite it again tomorrow.” But when he looks again at the opening line, the one he’s just changed for the eighteenth time, he knows it’s final, that he finally has it right. Because it’s finally true. It’s the truest thing he’s ever written.

The circumstances were different when I wrote the song, but like Alec I knew it was one of the truest and most personal things I’d ever written. Inspired by St. Augustine’s words, “Thou has made us for thyself, and our hearts are restless until they find their rest in Thee,” I wrote of my own longing for “a love that can never be broken.”

VERSE 1

Been looking for love that can never be broken

Impossible love that couldn’t exist

A love that can hear me when words are not spoken

That even my unfaithful heart can’t resist

BRIDGE

Maybe I’ll never know if I can find you

Or if you are even alive

But you are the one thing that I bind to

The reason that I can survive

CHORUS

I need you to light up these dark lonely halls

Need to know you know my innermost walls

Need you to live where I’ve wandered alone

Need you to make my heart into your home

VERSE 2

Well, I heard of a man who vanished completely

Had riches and power like an old king of Spain

But nobody whispered or spoke his name sweetly

In the end he was only a stain on the world

Repeat BRIDGE

CHORUS

I need you to light up these dark lonely halls

Need to know you know my innermost walls

Need you to live where I’ve wandered alone

Need you to make my heart into your home

Impossible Love has been one of the audience’s favorite moments in the award-nominated score ever since Over-the-Rhine first screened at film festivals.

This recording was produced by the composer of Over-the-Rhine’s score, Steve Goers. The vocal is performed by Noah Berry.

Note: No part of this song or recording may be copied or reproduced without first obtaining written permission from its composer Mitch Teemley (Og Hollow Music, 2016 – ASCAP)

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Movies, Poetry, Popular Culture & Entertainment, Story Power and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Music from My Movies

1. Niki Flow says:

Mitch this song is incredibly beautiful. Thank you for sharing it. ♥.

2. Beautiful song. You are incredibly talented!

3. Erika Kind says:

This song gave me goosebumps. My, is this beautiful, Mitch. Thank you so much for sharing.

4. “…a love that can never be broken.” Indeed! How beautifully and lyrically expressed! You are a man of so may talents! Can’t wait to see the film!

5. Mitch, I am sincerely in awe of all the ways God has gifted you, and I am delightfully impressed with how passionately you have refined them, and how openly and extensively you use them… to thoroughly bless us all! May the Lord continue to bless you, Over-the-Rhine…and to use both for His purposes, honor and glory! 🙏🏻✝️

6. bonmedi says:

Love this quote by St. Augustine. Exactly what I needed to hear today 🙏🏻💗☺️

7. nancyehead says:

I love the raw narration–raw in that it is so very real. Great work, Mitch. God bless!

8. That made me happy. And happy I found your blog.

9. I love the words and the music. Thanks.

10. smzang says:

His grace surely touched you when you wrote that one.
    a direct route to the soul. It is so beuatiful.

11. Thank you for sharing… wonderfully written, beautifully sung, perfect music!

12. Sandi Staton says:

Beautiful! Only God can love us that way. I’m so glad I finally realize that!

13. I like both the song itself and the backstory.

Thanks for using the present tense in the eloquent paragraph from the novel in progress.  While using the past tense makes sense for things like historical novels, much of the past tense usage in fiction is merely customary.  The present tense is more vivid, as well as more comprehensible to people reading in a second language.

14. Love the song, Mitch!
    I wrote a song a few years ago that is still my favorite, and if there is a scene where you need a song that showcases struggle and needing someone and wondering if this is what dying would be… I have that song and tune! Just sayin’ ;-)))
    Can’t wait for the film to come out!

15. lynnabbott says:

This brings chills…so beautiful! ❤

16. fipwmum says:

Love this song -love what it means -the message it portrays. When the film comes out how will we get access to it please?