Almost Got Him…

Just a hare more.

boy-helps-rabbits

Is there anything more useless than when children “help”? And yet they do help us. True, we help them to become adults, but more importantly, they help us to become children again. Which is what it means to be truly human. (Matthew 18:2-3)

When asked why he wrote for children rather than adults, Kenneth Grahame (The Wind in the Willows) said it was because they were “the only really living people.”

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Quips and Quotes, Writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Almost Got Him…

1. The picture is so sweet!!

2. Love the photo and commentary…Perfect!

3. Great photo and thoughts.

4. numrhood says:

matthew 43:03-04
    put thee in a remembrance
    don’t remember the past
    thou shall do a new thing
    let us plead onto thee

5. CJ Hartwell says:

Very true! It’s because they have a sense of wonder. At some point, we adults seem to lose it.

6. It’s a beautiful thing to watch a child helping. They are learning virtue.

7. Lana Cole says:

That is adorable!

8. I learned more helping my grandfather as a child then I ever did in school.

9. anitashope says:

Wonderful truth, fabulous picture. Children remind us to love.

That’s why I love being a grandparent. It provides the opportunity to play again, to act undignified, to read all the beloved children’s books (with different voices for the characters), to revel in silliness. And nobody seems to mind or criticize because “it’s for the grandchildren.” You’re right, Mitch. To abandon ourselves to child-like delight in such things is to experience true humanness.

11. Gary Fultz says:

I asked my dad how to become childlike again. He threw a piece of popcorn at me and said “buy a better vacuum cleaner”

12. Vera says:

Ah, Mitch, what a profound revelation.

13. Garfield Hug says:

I have seen this photo before, but will never get tired of seeing the innocence of helpful child and reading your post. It is a nice view of your think thoughts.

14. Sonrisa says:

How true this is. I spent the day yesterday with two of my young grandchildren, 2 and 6. They wanted to run, laugh, play, run, sing, run, clap, play pretend games, run… did I say run?😀. Today I am sore all over but I would do it all over again.

15. So true. A childlike faith.

16. Ann Coleman says: