Engaged!

Engaged  [inˈɡājd, enˈɡājd] Definition: A state of being firmly and continuously connected.  E.g. “A car cannot move until its gears are engaged; when they are disengaged, it ceases to move forward.”

CaratWatergateBaybyBobBerry

My wife and I got engaged 34 years ago today.

We still are.

Yes, we got married. But we’re still engaged. Completely. Oh, we’ve changed gears too many times to count. And we’ve gotten stuck in neutral on occasion. But every time we did, we realized we’d ceased to move forward, and worked to get our marriage back in gear (good marriages are strictly manual transmission vehicles; automatic simply won’t do).

So, thank you for 34 years of engagement, honey. I wouldn’t want to travel this road with anyone else. And, oh yeah, this isn’t very automotive sounding, but…

I love you.

This entry was posted in Culture, Memoir, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Engaged!

1. Happy Anniversary! God bless you and the fam!

2. simplywendi says:

This is so very cool, a huge congratulations to you and your beloved! Today is my wedding anniversary………..what a beautiful day it must be for love!

3. Ahhh, love this! I too sometimes think of marriage as engaging the clutch. No grinding those gears, no coasting along in drive, engage the clutch.Or just engage. 🙂

4. grAnnie Roo says:

Stick or column, manual transmission is about the best relationship metaphor ever. Oh, and congratulations Mitch and Trudy on another lovely anniversary.

5. trE says:

Aww. This is sweet! Happy Engagement Anniversary, Mitch!

6. you had me worried there for a moment.
    Happy Anniversary!

7. revruss1220 says:

Happy engagement anniversary!

8. My son, his girlfriend, my daughter, my husband and I went to Alexandria VA for a quick family weekend vacation. While at dinner my son got down on his knee and proposed to his girlfriend. I cried just as a momma does. I pray they “stay engaged” as well.

9. Congratulations!!! Long term marriage and relationships are such a gift! My husband and I have been married 41 years and we love each other more than we ever have!

10. John Eli says:

Happy Anniversary 🙌

11. Congratulations!!!!, so be beautifully said.

12. diman5 says:

Solid thoughts right there.
    34 years is no joke. Modern society has taught us that such longevity is an on going miracle

13. Great story. Congratulations!

14. long4h2o says:

Just like one needs the clutch to reengage the gears from neutral, my wife and I have found that we need engage a clutch to get our marriage back into gears. His name is Jesus.

15. Ron Bouchard says:

All true! Congrats! Nancy and I are 37yrs. this August. God is good!
    Ron

16. Awwww. Mitch, you are so ‘engaging’ sometimes.😎

17. gregoryjoel says:

Thank you Mitch. Today’s post was fantastic. Congrats on the day and thank you for the reminder that Margaret, my wife, and I are still engaged…

18. Jeff Rab says:

Congratulations to you both!! Keep the milestones going!!!!

Happy anniversary Mitch and Trudy! So glad you’re still traveling down Lovers’ Lane! (Steve and I are a bit ahead of you–over the hill at mile-marker #48!! Yikes!)

20. esoterica says:

Oh, how beautiful! I love this!! Congratulations to you and your honey, and here’s to 34 more years of engagement! ❤

21. anitashope says:

Congratulations. Its wonderful when all the gear changing only strengthens instead of disintegrates.

22. nancyehead says:

Congrats! Married doesn’t always mean engaged. Great post! God bless!

23. SarahC says:

Good example and explanation!

24. Ann Coleman says:

Congratulations to the two of you!!!

25. Dave says:

Congrats to both of you! Good post.

26. themeonnblog says: