Freedom Awaits

c05d4ca2c675bb6db774113f582978ff

Even if I’d never been a father, this picture would touch me. But because I have, it touches me even more deeply. It pierces my heart and salves it all at once. Why? Because even as I write this a beloved family member is in hospice struggling to release her own mortal coil, to be set free the way this precious little boy has been.

She’s much older, and has enjoyed a life of physical mobility this dear child never had. But now he’s the free one, far more free than she. Or any of us, for that matter. The roles are temporarily reversed. I love her, and her closest family members love her even more, so our tasks are twofold:

• First, to be grateful for her and her time with us, and to accept it as enough; for some that’s the most difficult part.
  • Second, to learn from her passing. Because the people we love can teach us how to live, but they can also teach us how to die, if we let them. And when they do…

They teach us to be free.

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Memoir and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Freedom Awaits

1. anitashope says:

Strong very wonderful truths here. I lift a prayer of comfort for you and the family as you cross that bridge but also with some other comforts knowing, again you will meet on those golden shores.

2. Truth. My husband did just that.

3. So beautiful and it touched my heart very deeply. My mom passed away from cancer almost 29 years ago at 39.
    Even at the young age I was, I knew her physical body would be restored immediately when in the presence of Jesus and she would be pain free.
    Thank you so much for this post, that image is beyond words for me. I would like to reblog it sometime.
    May God bless you and your family.

4. Wow. Now THAT’s what I call “divine perspective!” I know that most church prayer lists have names of people who are in the hospital, followed by “Pray for healing!” But I trust God with my body. If He wants to heal me, He will – and has, many times. In the likely event that someday I am the one in that situation, my prayer will be, “If my time has come, let me finish well.”

• mitchteemley says:

Every situation is different, of course. She’s in her late 80s, has had a massive stroke and is ready to go home, we believe. God could certainly heal her, but in this case the family’s not sensing that’s what to pray for.

5. atimetoshare.me says:

Prayers for strength and comfort for you. Confidence for her as she makes that glorious transition.

6. So sorry for what you are going through. We lost several loved ones very close together and it is hard. I learned to move them from my past to my future once they made the transition to the Kingdom of Light. I remember them well but I look forward to seeing them again more. Blessings to you and your family during this time!

7. thank you for the perspective. it makes me more grateful for the time I have with my children and grandchild.

8. bOb martin Martin says:

thanks for sharing the view of the wheelchair tomb stone. It brought tears to my eyes even though I have no contact with the family.

9. Mitch, thank you very much for sharing this with us. It’s sad to see them go, but we too can learn a lot from their lives. May God’s comfort, reassurance, and peace be present in her passing, and remain with her loved ones.

10. smzang says:

I am so sorry for your impending loss, and so very happy for the blest one who is soon to get her wings.

11. Ann Coleman says:

I’m so sorry, Mitch! I hope your loved one’s passing is peaceful, and the knowledge that she is indeed being set free is comforting to all of you.

12. pkadams says:

Some day that will be my daughter . Free ! Bless you and your loved ones while you prepare to say goodbye. Until we all meet again !

13. Yu/stan/kema says:

You hit a home run, Mitch.

14. Praying for you and yours, Mitch! And, by the way, your post truly resonates!!Thank you!!

15. Great picture! Sad post, but part of life. God bless!

16. Jennie says:

Beautiful. Yes, it pierces and salves the heart.

17. Thanks for sharing this. Where else can we find what other people are thinking?

18. Pingback: The Final Rite of Passage | Mitch Teemley

19. Anitaelise says:

Lovely words. They remind me of a very dear family member who passed away some years ago.