Hurray for Today!

Some weird and wonderful things have happened on March 2nd.

“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” ~Theodor Geisel

Seuss-AwardDr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel) was born on this day in 1904, and quite by accident discovered he was destined to create the weirdest, wonderfullest stories ever! Why? Because underneath, where it really counts, his stories have love in ginormous amounts!

57573cd11200005b02895aa9The first woman mayor in U.S. history, Susanna M. Salter (born on this date), was nominated as a prank, to prove that a woman could never win a popular election. She won by a landslide—33 years before women themselves could vote. Weird. And wonderful!

MBDKIKO EC012King Kong premiered on this day in 1933. And if that bad boy hadn’t picked up Fay Wray and climbed the Empire State Building, our world would have been a sadder place. Right? I mean, heck, we’d never have had Godzilla! Or my upcoming movie Notzilla, for that matter. And speaking of spoofs…

This is Spinal Tap, one of the funniest movies ever made, premiered on this day in 1982. At first it flopped, due to almost zero promotion. Moviegoers didn’t get it, and ignored this mockucumentary about “the world’s loudest band.” But my best friend and I were there, laughing our weird little brains out. In fact, it helped shape (some might say twisted) my sense of humor forever (yours?). And now it’s a bonafide classic! Here’s the original trailer:

This entry was posted in Humor, Movies, Popular Culture & Entertainment, Quips and Quotes, Videos and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Hurray for Today!

1. I remember seeing “Spinal Tap” and then being disappointed that it wasn’t a real band…

2. King Kong one of the best classic movie

3. grAnnie Roo says:

“Imagine if I wasn’t heavily sedated…” 😄👍

4. Dr. Seuss and Spinal Tap in the same post? Doesn’t get much better than that?

5. Narfphagus says:

Good old Dr Seuss… Probably accounts for 1% of space on bookshelves across the globe!

6. Great post! Loved the story of the woman mayor. (Moral of the story – be careful what you mock.)
    I was playing the trailer, and my son heard a few seconds of it from the other side of the room and immediately guessed, “‘Spinal Tap’?” (I’m so proud of that boy. 🙂 )

What a gift Dr. Suess became to humankind, providing stories that proved reading is fun. He was such a master of rhyme and word play! My favorite was Bartholomew and the 500 Hats. Now I enjoy reading Fox in Socks to my toddler granddaughter. The tongue-twisters provide as much delight for the reader as the read-ee. (If that’s not a word, it should be!) We’ve also enjoyed Circus McGurkus in our family. What’s your favorite?

8. badfinger20 says:

Love Dr. Seuss. Whenever I watch or read Dr. Suess I start expecting every conversation I’m in…to rhyme.
    Spinal Tap…a classic

9. CJ Hartwell says:

Loved Spinal Tap! A friend and I ditched school to go see it. (Shh… don’t tell!)

10. revruss1220 says:

“TURN IT UP TO 11!”
    Classic.
    This truly is a great day, isn’t it.

11. I just can’t wait to see what happened on my Birthday. Knowing that it had to be a Wierd Day. Loved the Spinal Tap Preview.

12. librepaley says:

So agree about Spinal Tap, hilarious.

13. That does look hilarious!

14. I will never forget the image of those midgets dancing around a miniature Stonehenge