An Open Letter to President Trump

I posted this Open Letter to our newly elected president two years ago. I am re-posting it today, in part, to confess publicly that I have failed far too often to pray for him and for other world leaders, and in part to renew my pledge to do so.

Mitch Teemley

the-presidency
Dear President Trump,

I’ve tried so hard to figure out how to articulate what I need from you, what I believe the people of the United States and the rest of the world need, from you. I can’t find the perfect words, but what I do know is this: It’s not about policies, it’s about character. I won’t presume to judge what’s inside of you, but I believe that, in the long run, a leader’s character is more important than his policies.

You rode to office on a tide of anger, and anger can serve a purpose when it’s directed toward things, rather than people. So build bridges, not walls, sir. Temper your outbursts. Cease to ridicule those who disagree with you. Instead, look to persuade. And find the humility to admit when you’re wrong. Seek counsel from those with other perspectives. Don’t just listen. Hear. Model in yourself what is…

View original post 183 more words

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to An Open Letter to President Trump

1. schoen55 says:

Thank you! In the midst of a culture that tends to divide us into little tag lines we forget that we must pray for all regardless of our differing opinions. And that includes our president.

2. I believe any anger present was because good people saw evil go unpunished in the Obama administration.

• Bruce says:

Mitch is not justifying or denying anger, he’s asking for civility from the President. Civility is required from everyone, regardless of political affiliation and it would be helpful if the President modeled this requirement. It’s what leaders are called to do.

• When you have one party that is practicing uncivility to the law and it’s citizens it’s time to call it what it is.

Personally I don’t find exposing unindicted criminals to be a bad thing.

That having been said, I’ve followed Trump since the 80’s and I make it a point to watch him speaking when possible rather than allow the media to frame him.

So my take may be different.

• Bruce says:

And because you matter, your take should be heard. That’s civility. Have a great day Angel.

• It’s ok if I’m not heard. I worked it politics and PR for so long I just have different views about ideas that come directly from crafted media images because I’ve crafted so many stories behind the scenes.

🙂 Thanks for the conversation, I enjoyed it.

3. Amen! Thank you for this post!

4. TEP336 says:

I like what you have to say. I disagree on the point about the wall, as I firmly believe we ought to build it, but otherwise I agree wholeheartedly.

5. Mr. Teemley, I have an article that pertains to your stance, and then my own thoughts: When you are a jackhammer, everything looks like a broken sidewalk. This is why the Trump-hating media are demolishing themselves.

The left’s journalists and artists are so deeply consumed by vile, vicious, venomous rage towards President Trump and his supporters that they have become incapable of clear thought.

Just about daily, they soil themselves and stain beyond recognition the notion of a free press as a bulwark of American liberty. Instead, they humiliate themselves while aiming to “get Trump” and reverse the results of the 2016 election, which they remain too juvenile to accept, even halfway through Trump’s first term.

You have read my blogs enough to know that I believe that whatever you want or do to another will be your fate. Mahatma Ghandi could not have gained independence for India by any other way than non-violent rebellion (he made the English hate him and he won). Martin Luther King could not win at the polling booth and could not win an all out war against the U.S. But with non-violent marches he made them hate him and the movement and they won. I believe President Trump is using the same method to defeat the opposition. He skewers them and causes them to hate him and his victories keep piling up. Does he go too far, not far enough, or just far enough? I can’t judge, but I trust the master of the art of negotiations to know from experience what he must do to win for the American people.
    I naturally respect you and your beliefs, many of which I share in one degree or another. But you or I can’t argue with success. Or, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I see President Trumps method and goals and I pray for him and the United States of America every night on my knees.
    I, also, pray for my wife who is in a nursing facility and probably won’t come out. I pray that God heals her in this world or in the next, but not to let her suffer through this dementia. Once she is gone, so is my world. I go on existing simply to continue my blogs to bring the lost to Christ. But I will not be disappointed if he cancels my assignment and calls me home.
    I wish you the very best in your every endeavor, along with a long happy and healthy life.
    Yours in Christ,
    Art Mealer
    Supernatural power through one law
    Book: God, Reward and Punishment: Are they real?

• mitchteemley says:

Art, you and I have different views on a number of things, I suspect, but we do share a concern for a righteous and godly outcome. And, yes, we share a commitment to prayer. One of which I’m offering right now for you and your wife. Blessings, my friend.

6. Praying for our leaders -to listen to God’s will – is something we should do as people of faith. I don’t tilt against windmills nor should I rail against those in authority, for he is the ultimate Authority. Ultimately, for good or for ill, all are responsible to live according to God’s expectations. I too, pray for the President to act justly and responsibly, and for all our elected officials to do the same.

7. Such a good reminder to pray for him. Thank God for Mr. Pence.

8. Mitch, your letter from afore is as spot on as it is today. The use of prayer for good is that which should be a theme. If we try to pray for what we want or wish, even if that is what is needed. The need for prayer for our leaders is to allow what should happen happens. If we allow the others, to persist, then we will have allowed all our efforts to go for naught. The others will always be there as they do not believe in prayer, others, or the common good. They will continue to build a case on matters that they claim to be “manufactured”, not looking at the massive construction project they have created. YES, we need to continue prayers for our leaders that have nothing to lose and attempt to unravel a mess that was woven by those whose actions will be only to their own benefit The letter was and still is what the American people need to continue in support of the policy and not the actions of the man.

9. Elitsa says:

10. Elitsa says:

Hey Mitch, a beautiful post (when I tried to press Like, btw, I accidentally Unfollowed and Followed again.) Anyway, here in Europe, we are praying for you all; although we don’t like the situation in the US, we do hope this madness will lead us to a better place. ❤

11. ages74 says:

This is good advice not just for presidents but also for all of humanity. Civility… its so much easier to degrade a person rather than build them up. ‘Do what is right, not what is easy’ -Roy T. Bennett