Stubbornness

49521070_10217635377457081_4949425474737537024_n

Stubbornness is the trademark of contemporary culture. It seems that no one can be wrong anymore, or, God forbid, compromise on anything. Is stubbornness bad, then? Well, at its core, it’s simply a refusal to give up. And when it takes the form of tenacity in the face of evil or belittlement, it’s courageous and inspiring. So, no, it’s not always bad. But when it is simply vanity in disguise, and when it deteriorates into obstinacy and sets itself up against reason, it must be called out. Or laughed at.

Especially when we see it in the mirror.

“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.” ~Joseph Joubert

“I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.”    ~Abraham Lincoln

“What do you mean I have to wait for someone’s approval? I’m someone. I approve. So I give myself permission to move forward with my full support!” ~Richelle E. Goodrich

“Thanks to God that he gave me stubbornness when I know I am right.” ~John Adams

“I’m not stubborn. My way is just better.” ~Maya Banks

“’Look at that blacksmith,’ went on Father Brown … ‘(his) religion was made up by men who prayed on hills and high crags, and learnt to look down on the world more than to look up at heaven. Humility is the mother of giants. One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak.’” ~G.K. Chesterton

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” ~Ernest Hemingway

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Stubbornness

1. smilecalm says:

funny
    but true 🙂

2. grAnnie Roo says:

That’ll preach all week!

3. E says:

Love and the removal of shame soften the hardest of hearts. On the other hand the right amount of grit can save your life too. Happy New Year Mitch!

4. I always tell people that, when I’m stubborn, to my friend I’m being loyal. To my enemies, I’m being bull-headed.

5. Cindy Dawson says:

Another great post, Mitch! You never disappoint!

6. anitashope says:

My stubbornness has carried me well but there are times it is hard to recognize the fact I as am getting older and there are just some things I can no longer do.

7. Great post! Stubbornness kills when we won’t get a hearing aid or visit the doctor yearly. “I know better I am fine!”

8. Mitch, Where would we be without the wisdom and wit of those before us. It is a shame that there are those, like John Adams, who believe and call it knowing that they are right. Very timely, My Friend.

9. Sue Love says:

Good to hold to godliness and purity and to not compromise moral and godly values. Bad to never admit wrong and to think everything is about us and that everyone else just needs to conform to our way of thinking, humanly speaking. Super bad to stubbornly hold on to destructive sinful addictions which hurt many people and destroy relationships.

10. The Hemingway quote is especially wonderful. 🙂

11. Paula says:

I love that you quoted one of Chesterton’s Father Brown stories. I love those. I have them on my eReader. Chesterton is cool otherwise too. Thanks for the post.

12. Absolutely spot on. Nice post.

13. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

This is a point of prayer for sure: where is the push of the Holy Spirit and just my plain stubbornness? That one is always a place to pray. Do you ever wrestle with that?

In Christ,

Gary

14. gwennonr says:

Reblogged this on Special Creation Woman and commented:
    This is so much fun to read. Please be sure to thank the author for creating it.