Counting My Blessings

piglet_gratitude

I pride myself in originality. Which is why I’m apologizing up front for the hackneyed title. But, hey, old saws are still around because they still have teeth, right? (See how I put an original spin on that phrase?). But I digress. Here’s my point:

I’m getting older (not “old,” mind you. I never get old, because old is always 20 years older than I am now), and lately I’ve been feeling the effects of living in a rental unit. By which I mean that some of my body parts are wearing thin, and not all are replaceable with aftermarket modules. Result? I’ve been whining a lot about my lack of youthiness. Just ask my longsuffering wife (whose own rental unit is still looking pretty great, by the way).

But then last night, as I was brooding over a certain malfunctioning function, I seemed to hear God whisper, “Spend less time on what you don’t have, and more on what you do (aforementioned wife included). In other words (old saw alert), “Count your blessings.”

So I did. And, dude, I gotta tell ya, I have a lot of them! I mean, I hate to sound so accessible and non-enigmatic, but I am freaking blessed! So what if it is an old saw? Frankly, it’s one of the most underused tools in my workshop!

There are maybe half a dozen original messages in the world; some would say only two (Matthew 22:37-39). In fact, my favorite books and movies all tend to revolve around the same themes. And yet I never stop needing to be reminded of them. Why? Because if there’s anything sickeningly original about me, it’s the ingenious array of ways I find to forget what really matters in life.

So last night I was reminded to count my blessings, and it worked. One and done, right? Nope, I’ll need to hear it again and again until the day this rental unit is parked underground, and the thing I call myself moves to more permanent digs. You too? If so, I invite you–not for the first time, I’m sure–to join me in…

Counting your blessings.

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Memoir, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Counting My Blessings

1. profsloan says:

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
    ‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭4:16‬ ‭(NIV)

I’m growing young!

2. anitashope says:

It always helps you get re-grounded when you count whats good vs what you wish was better.

3. IMAGINE….no I’m not taking us to a John Lennon tribute….imagine if the world embraced the 2 original messages you referenced?

4. I love this post! I lost my job 6 months ago & I’ve been struggling because I’m at the point that I will need to file for disability. Although my issues are long-term, I’ve had to come to grips with the fact that I have arthritis, artificial joints & I can’t move around like I used to. God has been showing up in my life in amazing ways. I love this post! I love the scripture. Thank you for your reminder that we need to look and count our blessings and not look at our faults and issues that we can’t help. I’ll never be older than 29! Age is a mindset. Our bodies will eventually wear out, but it’s how we react to the wearing out that determines if we are physically and mentally worn out at the same time. God is good, he provides for all our needs. Always, always count blessings and look for the good.

Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me; Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of whether I’ve done anything wrong – then guide me on the road to eternal life. Psalm 139:23-24

5. Bob Martin says:

Loved your “count your blessings” message. (One of my blessings is the afore mentioned blessing message.) To love, live and serve with what we have is what God asks of us. If we need more of something, He will provide it. “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.”

6. Jeff Haberman says:

Thanks for your post Mitch. Every day and every way I never forget to count. By the way, old sayings are old because the truth of them endures throughout the ages.
    Your “Old Buddy”,
    Jeff

7. Tina says:

Loved it! Made me smile. 🙂 <—— See!

8. pkadams says:

In deciding what to comment, I could write praise or I could make a joke, but the truth is this. My young-looking, 71 year old uncle passed away in his sleep totally without warning on Christmas Eve, leaving behind a wife and adult kids. We really must make the most of life while we can, no?

9. bonmedi says:

And it’s a good song too! 😉

10. I was reading in the past few days about how men who descended from Adam were over 400 years old and they had children. My thought was … well, let’s just say they obviously didn’t have some of the same breakdowns in their rental units that are so prevalent today. We are to count it all for joy as we encounter various trials. That includes, I think, a breakdown in the rental unit plumbing as my kitchen experienced this morning. Our God has given you the gift of storytelling and messaging. You then are one of my blessings that is absolutely in the counting! Blessings to you, my friend.

11. Jennie says:

Well said, Mitch. I love this, especially Piglet and Pooh.

12. As they say in The South, “That will preach!”

13. smzang says:

Very special…

and as for Pooh and friends…heroes all

14. Jon says:

A couple of years ago, my lovely wife challenged me to start my journal with a gratitude statement. I am still astounded that I can look back through those and find no repeats. Gratitude is a cure for a multitude of nagging emotional ills and the lack of emotional ills is a catalyst for untold blessings which are fodder for gratitude. It’s an upward spiral!

15. Love your term, “rental unit.” While I try to be a good steward of mine, I do look forward to getting my new and permanent one. I can even be thankful in the aches and pains for the reminders that better things are coming. 😉

16. Crissy says:

Love this! Well said!

17. grAnnie Roo says:

I like how the initial deluge quickly becomes a steady flow. HNY!

18. Ann Coleman says:

I think not only are most of us much more blessed than we realize, but most of us also need to be reminded of that fact on a regular basis. Thanks, Mitch!

19. What a powerful reminder! Oh, may I focus on what I do have, instead of what I don’t have and always be grateful! Thx Mitch.

20. Paula says:

Yep. That song we sang in church when I was a kid comes to mind every time I count my blessings. And there’s nothing wrong with that.
    Blessings: “Dude, I gotta tell ya, I have a lot of them!” :>)
    Original thoughts: I realized a few years back that I never have them. Even when I think I’m being “original,” I have to admit that God thought it first. Disclaimer: except for those ugly ones which come from my flesh.

21. Counting your blessings is key to a thankful spirit, and being thankful is what keeps life good! 🙂 Thanks for this post – I think we all need to be reminded of this.

22. Terri Nida says:

You’ve inspired me to make a gratitude list. It always seems to be a cure-all. Thanks for sharing your heart.