No Santa Claus?

I was six when my parents told me there was no Santa Claus:

111710_2My response (according to my mom) was, “Whew! You finally know?  I’ve known for a long time, but I wasn’t sure you did, and I didn’t want to spoil it for you!”

If it’s any consolation, there are lots of Christmas traditions that are true. Like the one about St. Nicholas, renowned for his kindness to the poor and to orphans (but who didn’t own any reindeer, because they were just too hard to find in ancient Greece). Or the one about showing our love by giving presents and, even better, our presence. Or the one about that guy “Christmas” is named after–you know, that guy.

So, Merry him! And merry family! And merry friends! And merry anyone who needs us! And merry anything and everything that points us back to them,

Even Santa Claus!

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Memoir and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to No Santa Claus?

1. Bahaha! I too was one of those kids who felt the burden of needing to protect the adults in my life from the truth about Santa Claus. Like, maybe they just don’t know any better and I don’t want to shatter their illusions? 🙂

2. Same here. When I had children, I never taught them Santa was real.

No regrets.

3. I remember the Christmas Eve I couldn’t sleep, hearing my parents dragging stuff down from the attic. (>thump!< "Lewis, be careful!") Thinking, "OK, that explains it…"
    There's a wonderful children's book (maybe out of print 😦 ) called "Santa, Are You for Real?" that tells the story of St. Nicholas (who loved Jesus) and how some traditions started – like the three poor girls who hung up their stockings to dry and the next day found little sacks of gold in them that Nicholas had tossed through the window, so they had their dowries and could marry. It's a wonderful, painless way to tell children the facts and fiction about Christmas.

4. revruss1220 says:

Thanks! And Merry Christmas to you!

5. joyroses13 says:

Love your response! Sounds like my child. 🙂 Merry Christmas!

6. SarahC says:

well thats cute! so merry christmas early to you as i dont get by here too often!

7. grAnnie Roo says:

So great. Shared on Fb. My friends that don’t read like it too!

8. smzang says:

Have a Happy and a Merry and most especially a Blessed one.

” I’ve known for a long time, but I wasn’t sure you did, and I didn’t want to spoil it for you!” what a special little guy (and cute too).

9. CJ Hartwell says:

I think I was five when I first learned about Santa! It wasn’t that my parents were Santa-deniers, it was just we always celebrated on Christmas Eve and the main event was always the church service. It wasn’t until I started school that I found out it wasn’t the same for everyone else. 🙂

10. I refuse to live in the World without Sant Claus. So, I will just have to accept the facts.

11. M.B. Henry says:

My older brother told me haha, I can’t remember how old I was, but I remember I said something about Santa Clause and my brother turns to me and says, “how can you not know Santa Claus isn’t real yet?!” My dad was NOT happy lol!