The Right Person

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWe spend so much of our lives waiting for “the right person.” The right person to marry. The right person to hire us for that career-making job. The right person to make it happen, whatever “it” is.

Many years ago, after diving into a relationship with someone who “might be the one” (she wasn’t), I asked my unattached friend Craig, “What about you? Haven’t found the right person yet?” His answer was not what I expected:

“No. I haven’t been the right person yet.”

That phrase burrowed its way into my brain and still lives there.

So much in life takes longer than we expect, or never happens at all, at least not the way we expect it to. But keep going, keep growing. Because while you’re looking for it, it is looking for you. And it won’t be able to find you until you’re…

the right person.

“To every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under the heavens.”  ~Ecclesiastes 3:1

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Memoir, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to The Right Person

1. Well,… Maybe there’s the right blog post at the right time though. Thanks Mitch.

2. joyroses13 says:

So very good! A great thing to keep in mind!

3. Can I get you on Insta, sir?
    Mitch Temley?

4. Jon says:

I am blessed with a gift from on high; the right person to walk with while we sojourn together to be the right persons.

5. Blessed with a great man for 45 years … still working every day on being the right person.

6. nickreeves says:

thank you. these are words, like wood, to carry.

7. It takes two people to make a marriage work, and either one (or both) can make it fail.

8. Angela Jelf says:

I love this! So very true.

9. LipikaSingh says:

That’s so true ♥️

10. Touche! Straight to the point! It’s a two way road, not one as we may think!💞

11. ❤ this is SO very good, Mitch.

12. John Sayers says:

Lord keep me on YOUR PATH so I will not look for the right person but be THE RIGHT person you have created me to be.

13. Bill Sweeney says:

Wow, Mitch, Craig had a lot of wisdom. Most young people don’t see themselves as not being “the right person.” Craig’s quote is going to stick with me.

14. Susan Taylor Brand says:

Thank you Mitch. I needed that.

15. Eva says:

This really got to me. Short yet direct. Concise yet impactful. My mind has been jumbled up lately and I think I finally found an answer in your blog.

Manyyyyy thanks 😊

16. brunniegetchell says:

Great blog ! As a single woman, I sometimes ask myself if I would ever want to date myself . It’s a great way to check in 🙂

Brunnie

17. cherylfoston says:

Hi Mitch, what a great post this is. It’s very thought provoking and makes one be truthful with themselves.

18. Terri Nida says:

Very insightful, indeed. That teaches me to focus on the growing and not the getting. So glad I read this today.

19. M.B. Henry says:

Very beautiful thoughts -thanks for sharing!

20. Pingback: Blogs & Bloggers Thursday – All The Shoes I Wear

21. Powerful and brilliant!

22. Joanne Sisco says:

I’m visiting via Laura at All The Shoes I Wear and this really resonated with me.

A few years ago I asked my adult son the question about finding the ‘right girl’. His answer was very similar to Craig’s. I was humbled that my 20-something year old son would have so much wisdom.

In truth, this is a lesson we all need to practice on a regular basis.

23. Pingback: The Right Person — Mitch Teemley « themeonnblog

24. So true for many. The key to life is finding your authentic self and as you move through life; then things, people, jobs, etc. will come in the best light. Without authenticity, you get a pretense version of life and so on.
    😁Emma

25. Pingback: My Post Picks For November – Something to Stu Over

26. Whew! Isn’t this the truth? Once I truly listened after heartfelt prayer and submission God gave me my precious wife. We had been looking for one another for 50 years, and we grew up together. What do you do? 😉

27. Queen Bean says:

Love this so much! Self-Development is key to becoming the best version of yourself and the “right” person. Thanks for sharing! 😍