Thank You, Veterans!

10731210_10204990072052349_3820551818430126158_nI’m wearing swastika-free socks right now. That’s a pretty obvious fact, I realize. But the point is, it’s obvious thanks to my father (lower right hand corner in the above photo) and many others like him.

3g03802u_photistoricOn the 11th day of the 11th month, the horror known as World War I ended. The date was appropriately named Armistice (“the laying down of arms”) and is still called 11-11-rememberance-dayArmistice Day in the UK, in France and New Zealand, and in many other countries. Some call it Remembrance Day. In the United States we call it Veterans Day.

Whatever you call it, thank a veteran when you meet them, and take a moment to pray for them–perhaps at the traditional 11th hour. It was their courage, after all, that helped make it possible for us to choose swastika-free socks, cars, homes…and lives.

This entry was posted in Memoir, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Thank You, Veterans!

1. revruss1220 says:

Thank you for this post. I am so grateful for men like your father and mine for everything they did for us.

2. Vince700 says:

Dad Navy end of World War 2 and Korea, Me Vietnam. So many gave their lives for the freedom that did not come free. I that the Lord for our country and the freedom we have.

3. “Thousands died for my freedom. One died for my soul. I am eternally grateful.”
    Bumper sticker: “If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you’re reading it in English, thank a veteran.”

4. Thank you for sharing with us 😉 Happy to get connect with you 🙂

5. M.B. Henry says:

Truth ❤ Wonderful picture!

6. Roos Ruse says:

Thanks to our veterans a cross covers my soul, not a swastika. Another excellent post, Mitch.

7. Is it just me or do other people look at photographs of soldiers from the two world wars and just think they look *so* young? Maybe it’s because I’m getting old. My grandfather served in WWII. He had a bad leg and walked with a limp so he wasn’t allowed to be a ‘proper’ soldier, but he had some interesting stories to tell. His duties ran from manning the guns on the cliffs at Dover to chauffeuring a general in Egypt. I wish I had asked him which general it was – now I will never know!

8. Mitch,
    “Thank you for your service”. is the word every day at the VA Medical Centers. Those who have served thank we who have served as well. Yes, we were young just like the Brothers before us and also after us. The finest hour of any young man is to serve the citizens of his country. Service is the basis for the founding of our country. I am always taken aback by those who thank me, as I felt that I was just a tooth in the great GEAR works that was doing what we felt needed to be done. Each year my service to my Country adds a greater meaning to my time of service. Thank you for remembering, through your Father.

9. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Yes! Thankful for those who served and serve now. We have such wonderful freedoms because of our vets.

Hope the movie-making is moving! In Christ,

Gary

10. So grateful for Veterans! Especially to my son who served. Your service is appreciated.

11. TEP336 says:

My great-great-grandfather was a Soldier who served in the 35th Infantry Division during the Meusse-Argonne offensive in WWI. He was a machine gunner who underwent his Basic training at Camp Doniphan, OK. I never met him.

My great-grandfather was a Marine who served in the 3rd MarDiv during WWII. He was a mortarman who fought his way, tooth and nail, across Iwo Jima. We lost him at the age of 82, nearly 20 years ago.

My grandfather was a Vietnam-era vet who served in the Air Force. Through circumstances beyond his control, he was unable to deploy to Vietnam, a fact that I know troubled him for many years after. We also lost him nearly 20 years ago, at the age of 58.

I enlisted into the Army National Guard in 2005. Since that time, I have served one tour in Iraq, and State Emergency Duty during the rioting in Ferguson. I am a Medic, and my contract is ending in nine months.

I have chosen not to reenlist, as my knees can no longer handle what the job requires. This fact was hammered home this Veteran’s Day, while I was on a training rotation at Ft. Polk, La.

I spent three weeks in full gear, during a war exercise that was as fun as it was painful. Still, I’m thankful it was my last. My guys deserve a Medic who can physically take care of them, and I’m presently in his way.

I don’t ask anyone to thank me for my service. I would have done it, thanks or no thanks. If I had it to do over again, there are things I would have done different, but I still would have served. I also know my grandfathers would have been very proud of me, and that does something I can’t describe.

12. TEP336 says:

One last thing. My great-great-grandfather underwent his Basic at Camp Doniphan, OK. Today, Camp Doniphan is surrounded by what is now known as Ft. Sill, OK. This would be the base I was assigned to for my own Basic Combat Training in 2006.