A Satisfied Cat

35192-hoodie-weatherIt’s hoodie weather. Finally! (I’m a t-shirt guy, but a t-shirt without a hoodie is like tights without a cape, right?)  Anyway, as I sat hoodied and warm in my armchair this morning, an afghan draped across my legs (knitted, not human),

cat-sleeping-on-table-cute-cats-sleeping-photos-600x450our little cat decided to curl up next to me. I offered rubs, and then continued to work on my Very Significant Project. Until she began to purr. At which point I got melty and had to stop to write this sentimental bit of fluff:

O, the sound

of a satisfied cat

Was ever a music

more perfect than that?

I know: Cat poem? This probably means I’ll have to turn in my Serious Writer card, not to mention my Manly Man Club certificate. But, hey, I never attended the meetings, and they always spelled my name wrong, anyway. Now on with the day.

Wait, the cat’s in my lap now.

This entry was posted in Humor, Memoir, Poetry, Writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to A Satisfied Cat

1. Relax... says:

Awww, lucky you!

2. Ritu says:

I’m not well today and I have my cat purring beside me on my bed.

Nothing better than a cat
    For company without the chat
    A gentle purr to say he’s there
    A little lick to show he cares

3. Jo Martin says:

Loved your Satisfied Cat comments. Does this leave the door open for dog poetry? Be careful, who knows where a “yes” could lead!
    Bob Martin 🙂

4. Loved this poem. As I am owned by two cats I understand the necessity in putting all else aside until their petting needs have been satisfied.

5. A purrfect way to start out a new week, Mitch, with a reminder of who’s really in charge of the world (or at least who should be).

6. I never did receive a Manly Man Club card. Was it nice?

7. Jennwith2ns says:

The best poem I ever heard was about a cat. It was “written” by a two year old I was nannying at the time. I was sitting on the front steps of his house, he was sitting on my lap, and we were just watching the world when a cat sauntered by. “Kitty,” said my charge. “God made. Kitty. Happy God.”

8. No shame in a cat poem! I loved it. Our cat, Miss Potter, is queen of the castle for sure.

9. Hemingway had cats – lots of cats. He was a serious writer, therefore I conclude you have to have lots of cats to be a serious writer. I have three cats, but I believe you need 5 or 6 to considered serious.

and it takes a real man to say, “Yes, I love cute cuddly kitties. You got a problem with that buddy?”

10. CLEvangelism says:

I have always said there’s nothing cuter than a kitten sighing as it sleeps.

11. Aw, This is awesome!

12. CSL says:

Hemingway too? That’s interesting; after all, every serious writer should be a lover of cats. My favorite quote-machine Mark Twain was a lover of cats, as well. My favorite Twain quote is from his book Puddin’ Head Wilson:

A home without a cat — and a well-fed, well-petted and properly revered cat — may be a perfect home, perhaps, but how can it prove title?

13. Lucie says:

It’s rain slickers and turtle neck weather here, my friend! And the Princess and I are curled up with our cat, Boo, listening to the pitter patter of the rain on our roof and loving it! ;>)

I wouldn’t hang up your writer’s socks, yet> maybe just darn them a little! (Just teasing!) ;>0

14. Candice says:

Did you know that here in Saskatchewan, we call hoodies “bunnyhugs”. I’m not sure why, we just do. Love the poem!

15. I have a lap full of beagle on most days.

16. smzang says:

The world is a better place because of cats and cat poems,
    Your poem has me purring with delight.

Bella, your feline friend.

17. RGS says:

It is said that the Prophet Muhammad, May He Rest in Peace, was sitting in a chair with his cat asleep on his sleeve. Rather than disturb the kitty he cut off the sleeve.

My Green Beret husband lost his Manly Man certification when he had to spend the night on the sofa because the cat was asleep on his head.

18. Squid says:

Read this out loud to my sisters and we all went AWWWWWWW
    We approve. 🙂

19. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

I won’t dock your man card for having cat time. They get to even the rough and tumble kind of people. Thank you, God for pets.

Gary