A Note to My Virtuous Friends

“To do good is noble, but to teach others to do good is nobler…and much less trouble.” ~Mark Twain

8a8d21f5d0288aee5008a8630f086eda_400x400Many of us who are writers and teachers hope, I suspect, to affirm our own nobility by telling others how to behave.* Yet most of us are at least part-time purveyors of the sins we condemn, and spotty practitioners of the virtues we extol.

A. A. Milne, creator of Winnie the Pooh and real life daddy of Christopher Robin, was reportedly a cold and distant father. Beloved Victorian moralist Charles Dickens summarily dumped his wife of twenty years for a 17 year old actress.

Are we trying to get into heaven by riding the coattails of those we shove?

The Apostle Paul admonishes us to “be a model” to those we teach, “both in word and in deed, in love, faith, and purity.” “Live there,” he says, “be that person…so that your progress is apparent to all…for by so doing you will not only save yourself, but your hearers, as well!” (I Timothy 4:12-16)

*Yes, I, as a writer and teacher, am using this post to do precisely that. Please excuse me while I remove the plank from my eye.

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Quips and Quotes, Writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to A Note to My Virtuous Friends

1. Lisa Beth says:

So well said! Thank you for posting this much needed truth…needed by me that is! ☺

2. smzang says:

Mitch, You do a rousing job in both word and deed. This site is a haven of guidance and inspiration.
    Many thanks for the many lifts you give (and for the smiles and giggles too). Methinks you’ve found the perfect balance.

3. Such a great reminder…thank you.

4. Ah, tis so noble to be honestly human.

5. Roos Ruse says:

I often feel the burden of being a model, and usually feel either too thin ( it actually happened – once) or too fat. At any rate the point is I agreed. As flawed as we are, we must seriously purpose to do our best.

6. I preach to myself all the time, Mitch! 😀 Great and challenging post!

7. landl30 says:

As a fellow, writer, preacher and poet your thoughts today strike a chord. It can get all too easy to justify a lot of neglect because of the “something important” that we get into the middle of “creating.”
    Grace got into my life when I got more conscious of doing it right vis-a-vis my own family and friends.

8. Vernon says:

Hi Mitch,

Change= insight + action

I love teaching and learning.

What I’ve noticed is that I learned faster than I can practice it.

I know we all get a turn to practice what we preach, so I try to live in the now and wait for my turn.

People relate better to my experience than my opinion.

Thanks for the great reminder to walk the walk.

9. Why would we not want to share good deeds and the technique to do so? Great post.

10. Funny a little twisted but funny

11. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Yes, with Jesus as our strength, we set the model. The impossible is possible.

Gary