Overcoming “That Guy”

alone1Have you ever crashed head-on into the old you, and discovered how much you dislike that worldly, self-absorbed person? I have. And, truth be told, there’s still far too much of him in me–1% would be too much, and frankly it’s a lot more than 1%.

There’s only one WMD, Weapon of My Deliverance, in my arsenal. Fortunately it’s an incredibly powerful one: Prayer. Still, a weapon is only useful when it’s used. And the challenge I face every day is:

To prayerfully, fearlessly live what I believe, rather than believe what I live–the way the world that That Guy came from still lives.

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Overcoming “That Guy”

1. hannahtk says:

Love it! Beautifully written. Too many of us believe that we(The New Guy) and That Guy can coexist and try to make all kinds of allowances for it. Sadly the New Guy looses every time. The New Guys’ mandate is to merciless crucify the That Guy. Thanks for the reminder Mitch

2. revruss1220 says:

Yes! Somehow “That Guy” never quite gets the message that he’s not welcome here and keeps showing up like a bad penny.

3. Roos Ruse says:

What brilliantly put truth, Mitch. I too loathe encounters with That Girl. Thanks to God for His redemption.

4. Powerful, Mitch! Thank you for this challenge to live what we believe!!

5. Gary Fultz says:

I’ve moved to another state twice and that guy still follows me…sad but true

6. Joan says:

I know what you mean, Mitch. That Girl’s persistent presence in my life can be annoying and disheartening, but I am slowly learning to turn to her with compassion and invite her to look at what’s she’s doing.

7. smzang says:

I always thought the hardest part would be making the commitment but that just isn’t so. Living that commitment day in and day out is challenging, always rewarding but often times challenging.

8. Self assessment and awareness are very important. This is a well written post. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

9. I like to think of God going through a disarmament program with me. I was using weapons against God and God disarms me to recreate me.

10. I constantly have to repent and remind myself that God is still in the process of “fixing me”. We are all still under repair from the sin of Adam.

11. RGS says:

Oh My God! And I mean that literally.