Skepticism

Blog-questioning-man-v2I think I have an extra “Why?” chromosome.

For good or for bad, I was born a skeptic. My mother tells me (true story) that I was expelled from pre-school for repeatedly questioning the teacher. If we did a survey of history’s notable skeptics, I suspect we’d find both heroes and villains. My personal patron saint would have to be Doubting Thomas, who eventually believed, but not without considerable convincing.

Note: Although the above is meant merely as a play on words, many do, in fact, have an extra y chromosome, and it is considered normative in the great majority of case. ADHD (which I have) is often attributed to an extra y chromosome. There are also, however, serious conditions related to extra or missing chromosomes, and I do not in any way mean to belittle the brave souls dealing with such conditions.

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Mitchellaneous, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Skepticism

1. sashiengland says:

That’s a popular question with me. The why’s that give me food for thought. My answer is usually simply this: I don’t know but God does.

2. Tina says:

Haha. Me too. πŸ™‚

3. Jo Martin says:

Do you wonder why you think that?

4. TEP336 says:

“but test everything; hold fast what is good.” 1 Thessalonians 5:21

5. notdonner says:

This is timely. I have a co-worker I have been sharing why I follow Jesus. He’s a smart guy and well read, but his approach is always through rational thought and history. Doesn’t “get” the spiritual notion of heart and faith.

6. SITR Admin says:

Either I missed it, the post didn’t display properly or it wasn’t complete when I first visited, thanks for finishing it (if that’s the case). I was curious. I think the “Why” chromosome is referred to as “critical thinking.” Critical stuff. Enjoyed this.

7. I’ve one in my office, too. Although I think he just pretends to be a non-believer. Ever met that sort of species? πŸ™‚

8. wzippler says:

I didn’t get my “why” Chromosome until after I became saved as an adult. It wasn’t scepticism, but a fascination of the world Christ made.
    Imagine someone you love has an exhibit in a famous art gallery, while you may not personally care much about art, you do care for your loved one, so you go and learn as much about your loved ones exhibit as you can. That is how I feel about God’s world, Even things like events that he did not directly create have his fingerprints.

Sometimes this knowledge comes in handy when witnessing to non-Christians, which makes it even better.

9. Thank you, Mitch. Now I understand what is wrong with me.

10. I love that you were expelled…from preschool. That must be some kind of record, and one to be proud of, at that.

11. cat9984 says:

I think that a lot of us would have been Thomas in that situation. If physical evidence is available, we would want to see it.