Suffering for My Art?

Many artists work in pencil, and they tend to prefer softer leads like a #1 or a #2. Architects, on the other hand, prefer harder leads like a #3 or a #4. Hmm. So, I decided to experiment with harder leads. Here’s a self-portrait I did using a #9, the hardest pencil lead there is. It has a certain tortured quality, don’t you think? The paper, I mean.

(I prefer to let the artwork do the suffering.)#9 Pencil Drawing

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor, Mitchellaneous, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Suffering for My Art?

1. Love your sense of humor, Mitch! But I do see a slight resemblance here… ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Ellen says:

Self portrait by Mitch Teemley
    aka Scarface

3. Roos Ruse says:

Ach Nein! Once more you’re tearing it up, Mitch. Have a happy weekend!

4. revruss1220 says:

Looks like a self-portrait on paper with an Exacto knife. You may have accidentally pioneered a new art form here!

5. David Pettus says:

So you’re preparing for a new career as the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh?

It takes supreme talent to turn pencil-torn paper into a portrait. Reminds me of the children’s book, Beautiful Oops! by Barney Saltzberg, that illustrates how our mistakes can be turned into masterpieces. You’d love it, Mitch, given your penchant for creativity, wit, and humor–which you’ve so skillfully illustrated here!

7. Gosh, looks just like you, Mitch.

8. You look about ready to road rage, Mitch!

9. cat9984 says:

No one told you a #9 was a torture device? ๐Ÿ™‚

10. After LOL and admiration of the genuine artistic value in the result of the experiment with #9 on paper, I was left with a conundrum.  On what could anybody draw (nondestructively but legibly) with a #9 pencil?  Almost as difficult and important as the nature of dark matter. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Seth Feriano says:

Tongue and cheekily, Architects donโ€™t use pencils anymore!