I Hate to Wait!

(Video below)

Skeleton at windowWhen Abraham was 75, God promised to give him a child. Twenty-five years later, when Abe was 100 years old, Isaac was born.

Gee, why the rush, Lord?

Hey, to God 1,000 years is like a day (2 Peter 3:8), so for him 25 years is no more than a longish lunch break: “Oops, gotta go, Gabriel, I promised Abe a baby.”

Foom! Cue baby!

And yet Abraham “never wavered in trusting the promise of God.” (Romans 4:20-22)  I completely understand this because I am an Abraham-like model of godly patience.

Yeah, right.

But I have learned a few things about “waiting on the Lord” (Isaiah 40:31). I’ve learned that if we’re not careful we can miss what really matters while we’re waiting for what we think matters. During the years I strove to make it in the movie biz, facing disappointment after disappointment, my wife and I created (with significant help from God) two brilliant co-productions that have grown into amazing young women. They didn’t help my movie career a smidge, but fathering them has been one of the great privileges of my life!

I’ve also learned that God’s vision is always bigger—and better—than mine. During my years in Hollywood I never gained enough clout to make movies the way I wanted to make them. One project I was passionate about, a moving story of forgiveness and redemption, was set up as a TV movie for Fox. I was crushed when a network exec killed the deal. But the truth is, if it had been made I would have lost control over the project and it would have become a long-forgotten watered-down movie-of-the-week.

Instead, 12 years later (a mere burrito break for God) I was given funding by an indie production company to write and direct that film myself. We shot it last month and are now editing it!

So, yeah, I hate to wait (who doesn’t?). But waiting on God is unlike any other kind of waiting. It’s active, productive, life-changing waiting, a time to learn God’s character (Psalm 46:10). A time to prepare our hearts for the task ahead (Psalm 27:14). And a time for God himself to equip us for that task!

⇔ ⇔ ⇔

A few years back, I wrote a short script called Wait! If you’d like to read it or perform it, click here. I also made a short, satirical VIDEO version. Enjoy!

If you’d like to download a copy of this video, click here!

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Religion/Faith, Videos and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to I Hate to Wait!

1. Tessie says:

I am 23 years old and trying to start a family. I have been trying for a while now and I too hate the wait. But then i remember that God is just preparing me for the future and that right now i probably couldn’t handle it. Thank you God for having perfect timing!!

2. My Way Home Life says:

So true. Life’s best things happen while we wait for the “big” things.

3. numrhood says:

1 peter 3:33
    romans 4:45-47
    isaiah 15:56
    psalm 21:35
    psalm 52:39

4. Cindy Dawson says:

Once again, you put a big smile on my face. I love the video and the post!

5. revruss1220 says:

As a chronically impatient person, I love this while being utterly convicted by it. Thank you for your gift of insight.

6. Pingback: I Hate to Wait! — Mitch Teemley – The RAW Writer's Block!

7. Love the phone menu – so true! Yes, turn off the technology and hear the still, small, Voice …
    Gotta go… :/

8. Congrats on the movie! I bet it’s gonna be wonderful. I will see it!

9. As someone who has the patience of a gnat, I really loved your video Mitch – just brilliant :O)

10. I have the impression that outside of our perception if the universe that time as we know it doesn’t exist. ( Revelation 10:6). The very nature of time as we know it is a measure of separation from God. But in “God’s Time” there is no diffehirence between yesterday and tomorrow.

11. Yes! Waiting on God is hard for us, but so worth it!

12. Ann Coleman says:

Very wise words! And as someone who is not known for waiting patiently, or trusting that things will work out, very much needed. Thank you!

13. TEP336 says:

For me, it’s a little different. I have often joked that patience has long been one of my few remaining virtues. 😉 Oh, how that sentiment has changed these past few years. Being dad to ten kids, one of whom is grown, and another who thinks he’s grown, my patience has taken more than a few hits as of late. I really enjoyed this post, as I’ve also discovered that there is a certain level of humor required when waiting on God. He moves in His own time, to His own purposes, and all we can do is wait.

14. Waiting for God is His way of listening to you. When you are ready all will happen. or Will all happen when you are ready?
    As you have gathered, Disappointments are Lights guiding you to an end. Great post, Mitch. Thank you, John

15. Love this story. Know it so well! Nice share.

16. 911grace says:

When He makes us wait He definitely prepares us for something way bigger than what we had in mind. His blessings are su much better than the ones we try to make happen. Trust and wait is the best option in His kingdom. To acquire patience is hard especially waiting for God or even when He is silent and just making you wait even longer. 💙 Made me laugh. So good! Thank you for sharing.

17. smzang says:

Our Sunday School lesson this week is Patience. I’m studying it in depth, hoping
    to gain just a smidgeon. You write smiles and peace and wisdom. Thank you!

18. Thanks a ton Mr. Teemley for reading, liking and following sizzmindtalkz.com
    Its a pleasure and real honour

This blog post really touched me as me and my husband married for just 5 years now and waiting for a baby. Trusting Him and waiting for His due time. Now I can say I waited for just 5 years! 😊