The Extraordinary in the Ordinary

There's beauty in the ordinary--we just have to learn to see it

Beauty abides in common things

If only we choose to see it

And grace will turn our limbs to wings

If only we choose to free it

“Often when we blame our artists for painting ugly things, they are but striving to show us a beauty to which we are blind.”

~Evelyn Underhill

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to The Extraordinary in the Ordinary

1. I see things like this constantly. I wonder if I should try capturing them with a snap shot. Most of the time I’m moving too fast to stop.

2. This is beautiful Mitch. I can relate deeply to this. What does it mean to you?

Thanks for sharing.

3. JustOneTeenageGirl says:

This is very true. I like your blogs

4. Tina says:

Love these thoughts (truths). Thanks for sharing!

5. kakymc says:

Yes. It’s easy to ignore the wonder of the ordinary as we rush here and there. Don’t despise the day of small things.

6. CLEvangelism says:

I haven’t had a car for over two years and can’t afford the bus, so I’ve been walking miles and miles per day.
    Consequently, I see hearts that other people miss: https://clevangelist.wordpress.com/2017/08/05/my-unique-blogger-award-nomination-and-the-importance-of-telling-your-own-story

7. Amen! There’s this photographer I know who takes portraits and sees people as Jesus sees them. Not sure how he does it, but he sure seems to have our Father’s lens! Young, old, sad, happy, no matter what we really look like, he sure captures the beauty of people’s souls.

8. Gorgeous image, important message!

9. Bill Sweeney says:

So true, Mitch. Thanks for the reminder. There is so much ugly in the world today that it’s easy to overlook simple beauty.

10. carhicks says:

This is so true. If we sit and watch and listen we will see and hear so many simple and beautiful things. We all need to be reminded of this occasionally.

11. Manahil says:

Wow, this is so beautiful❤️

12. Nature has so much beauty to offer us if we just choose to see it – you not only chose to see it but to capture it for the rest of us :O) thanks Mitch x

13. I love the photo, the way it shows not only what the camera was focused on, but what is reflected from above. It makes me wonder what I am reflecting in my seemingly mundane life.

14. Ugliness, like beauty, is all in the perception.

15. A great quote to share.

16. nancyehead says:

I once heard an author–Christopher DeVinck–speak about the parallel between ordinary and extraordinary. His book Power of the Powerless explains his story and others. Power in powerlessness. I recommend the book. Great post!