De-Civilization

Truth Decay

I’m not sure which we need to do first: wage civilization on humanity, or wage humanity on civilization. But we need to do both. And in a hurry.

(When asked what he thought of Western civilization): “I think it would be a good idea.”
~Mahatma Gandhi

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”
~Winston Churchill

“Sometimes it takes a good fall to really know where you stand.”
~Hayley Williams

“You can safely assume you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”
~Anne Lamott

“The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.”
~Ernest Hemingway

“If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong      to each other.” ~Mother Teresa

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to De-Civilization

1. Roos Ruse says:

Best quotes in a long while – which is remarkable coming from the marvelous Mitch. Let us please take heed and adjust as necessarily – quickly. ❤

2. I also think civillizing the West would be a good idea.

3. revruss1220 says:

I love all of these, but especially the Hemingway quote. It shows me a side of him I was unfamiliar with… a side I really like!

4. Candice says:

Anne Lamott’s quote really makes one think. How many times has society done this very thing?

5. DeniseBalog says:

Especially Ike the one about taking a good fall to know where you stand. Eliminate the stumbling around with what doesn’t work. Another good post Mitch.

6. landl30 says:

Great stuff Mitch .. and much needed reminders in the midst of our current Uncivilized moments.
    Blessings,
    Len+

7. M.B. Henry says:

Some very powerful quotes there. Thanks for sharing them.

8. alslaff says:

Interesting…hmmm… personally, I think both civilization and humanity are uncivilized; always have been. Hence, the Cross. Both could use a good dose of “grace and truth” but will probably remain the same or worse. We’ll probably have to hold our ground until the Lord’s return. (Should I be writing this before I go to sleep? Hmmm….)

9. alslaff says:

Mitch… I forgot to add one of my favorite quotes which may/may not have anything to do with anything above by Charles de Gaulle — The graveyards are full of indispensable men.

10. Mitch, The relationship to each of these quotes you offered are proof that a fall is what reunites us to our Roots.

11. cat9984 says:

“Oh what a giftie God would gae us, to see us as others see us.” Robert Burns

12. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Great visual. We are what we eat. Lord, help us to feed on truth and not things that decay. Imagine what our nations smile would look like: real, full of grace and truth.

In Christ,

Gary

That tooth sculpture is one creepy but memorable image! It does raise the question: Will our civilization be next to succumb to decay? I pray not! Echoing Gary (above), “Lord, help us ALL feed on truth!”