Freedom

Presentation1

It has a price:

“The secret to happiness is freedom. And the secret to freedom is courage.” ~Thucydides

None who have always been free can understand the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom to those who are not free.” ~Pearl S. Buck

“Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.” ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

“The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom.” ~Lady Bird Johnson

May we think of freedom, not as the right to do as we please, but as the opportunity to do what is right.” ~Peter Marshall

“Free people, remember this maxim: we may acquire liberty, but it is never recovered if it is once lost.” ~Jean-Jacques Rousseau

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~Abraham Lincoln

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.” ~Desmond Tutu

I will never stop at merely celebrating independence, but will work to assure that all people have it. My freedom will only be complete

When all are completely free.

This entry was posted in Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Freedom

1. John S says:

Thanks Mitch here is what I am sharing today,Happy 4th from the Chaplain

| | | | | |

| | | | Happy 4th from the Chaplain

Happy 4th from the Chaplain |

2. A great compilation, Mitch. The Lincoln quote is eerily apropos. It made me think of Liberty’s nemesis: License. Today there is a battle going on between these two in our country— and the world, for that matter. I feel a poem coming on, stay tuned. 🙂 VMK

3. Jo Martin says:

Those of us who are evangelicals have a problem with the idea that freedom OF religion must include freedom FROM religion. Are we willing to share the marketplace with all others, no matter how stridently they proclaim their beliefs?

4. Erika Kind says:

What great thoughts about independence and freedom. Yes, everybody needs to be free in order that the individual can be free. We are all connected.

5. Barbara says:

I shared this today. Thank you Mitch

6. joyroses13 says:

I think Abraham Lincoln’s quote says it all, especially how the times are right now. Good job!

7. Lauren Macdonald says:

Hi Mitch, good post, hope you had a good holiday. I love that you guys celebrate freedom as a nation! We need to hold our freedom tightly everyday in order to not enslave ourselves or be enslaved by others without noticing we even dropped our freedom. I like the last line (your own?) because I agree we also have a duty to help others find their freedom and hold on to it.
    I read a post of yours the other day and it reminded me of the one I’d written for today. I came back today to give you the link but now I can’t find it. You’re prolific, but you might recognise it when you see this. http://godhelpmei.com/2018/07/05/all-she-had-to-live-on God bless you.