5 Years Ago Today

Wonder Dead

After struggling to stay alive, the original Hostess Brands, originators of the modern mass-produced, pre-packaged treat, gave up the ghost in 2012 (even the preservatives they put in their snacks couldn’t keep them alive). And America mourned the loss of Wonder Bread, Hostess Cupcakes, Snowballs, and, of course, the ultimate health food, Twinkies.

I sketched the above cartoon as a tribute of sorts.

My generation, the first to enjoy these delights, was also the first to shout, “Wait, this isn’t food, it’s plastic!” when it was revealed that Twinkies can sit unchanged on a shelf for decades without breaking down. But by now, humans had acquired a taste for plastic, so…

Five years ago on this date, a resurrected Hostess Brands began baking manufacturing Twinkies again. So, um, here’s to the snack that lasts longer than those who consume it!

To infinity and beyond!

TwinkieHenge

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to 5 Years Ago Today

1. I’ve missed the preservatives in Twinkies.

2. “here’s to the snack that lasts longer than those who consume it” love that line, even if it is alarming. I don’t think we have Twinkies in the UK? Or if we do, I’ve never noticed them and certainly have no intention of ever trying them.

3. stolzyblog says:

Used to pass by their original factory building in Hoboken, occasionally, as a child visiting some relatives. What a great fragrance emanated from that place! My fave was the twin-pak chocolate cupcakes with the white squiggle icing on top.The bread though! Geesh, even as a child it seemed unhealthy to me. 🙂

• mitchteemley says:

;>) Yep, I too ate more than my share of twin-pak Hostess Cupcakes as a kid. Wonder Bread’s motto “Helps build strong bodies 12 ways” was in response to the government’s demand that white bread manufacturers put back at least some of the vitamins and minerals lost in processing. Hostess spun that into sounding like it was health food!

4. CLEvangelism says:

Hostess cherry pies were one of my top 10 binge foods for years — partly because they were 4/$1 at the Hostess outlet and partly because they brought back memories of my mom tucking them in my Boomer lunchbox with a drawing of a caterpillar that said, “I love you!”

5. revruss1220 says:

Hilarious! Are you also the builder of the Twinkiehenge pictured here?

6. cricketmuse says:

I wondered what became of Wonder Bread and its compatriots. Here is a myth buster: Twinkies rot from the inside out. I discovered this one day at lunch. Green filling does not mean minty fresh.

7. M.B. Henry says:

Venkmen: “How’s the grid holding up?” Winston: “Not good. Tell him about the Twinkie.” – Ghostbusters

8. SarahC says:

once i figured out the Generic of ‘treats’ tasted better, huh, shoulda know eh?!

9. DeniseBalog says:

From Philly we grew up on “Tastykakes”. Won’t think to touch a Twinkie. Snobby about our sugar fixes! Lol Excellent post Mitch! Thanks for sharing.

10. Blended Hope says:

Haha! I love a good Twinkie!

11. Even as a kid I thought Twinkies were gross. I did love the chocolate cupcakes, though.

12. I have this theory that in the future an archeological discovery will be made and the Twinkies they find will be just as fresh as day one. Students will learn about the strange cult of the 20th century who mummified snacks.

13. cat9984 says:

When I was growing up, there was a Wonder Bread factory in Detroit that we would pass. It smelled so good. My father (who’s mother had baked all of her own bread) refused to buy it, It took me a while to understand that it didn’t even qualify as bread to a bread-lover. 🙂

• mitchteemley says:

Yeah, they pioneered bleached, denatured flour with most of the nutrients (and flavor) removed, back when people thought white flour was more pure than those “dirty” (whole grain) breads. Like your dad, my mom said, “This isn’t bread, it’s barley even food!”

14. Hilarious, Mitch! I love the comic! You could have had a career as an editorial cartoonist! 😀

15. Ann Coleman says:

Loved the comic! And I’m embarrassed to say that when I was young, I loved Twinkies (also those creme-filled chocolate cupcakes.) Now when I see them, I just remind myself what they’re made of and it makes it rather easy to resist.

16. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

The Hostess Wars! Crazy what things people get up in arms about.

Snack. on!