Got Serenity?

Someone's Wrong

It’s Monday. No better time than this to talk about serenity. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines serene as “clear and free of storms or unpleasant change; shining bright and steady; calm and unruffled.” Do you know anyone who says, “Ah, Monday! Time to get down to some dark, upsetting experiences and big erratic mood swings. Woo-hoo!”

There’s a reason the great theologian Reinhold Niebuhr’s famous “Serenity Prayer” is one of the most memorized and recited passages in the world. So let us join our AA brothers and sisters in praying it as often as needed (about every 5 minutes).

Here’s the full length version:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;
trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
forever in the next.
Amen.

Wishing you a serene Monday forever.  ~Mitch

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Got Serenity?

1. Candice says:

I never knew there was more to this prayer. Thank you for sharing.

2. I’ve heard that stress is really a failure of person to “know the difference.”

3. I love this long serenity prayer. Thanks for the reminder.

4. M.B. Henry says:

Wow I didn’t know the longer version. Thanks for sharing!

5. joyroses13 says:

Have always loved the Serenity Prayer, and I know I heard the 2nd part long ago but was nice to read it again. I repeat the Serenity prayer to myself many times. 🙂
    Have to love the comic too! I am always telling my one teen to just scroll on past, not everything is worth debating! LOL!
    May you have a serene Monday as well!

6. A reminder about this prayer is just what I needed today. I have had the long version for a while and often use it. Good post!

7. smzang says:

Peaceful and lovely…and so serene.

8. revruss1220 says:

Ahhh! Thanks for that mini-retreat. Your post reminds me of the other “serenity prayer” I’ve heard that goes, “Lord, give me serenity and give it to me NOW!!”

Add me to the club of folks who didn’t know there was a long version to the Serenity Prayer. It’s WONDERFULLY affirming of important truths and so appropriate for us right now. Thank you, Mitch!

10. Ann Coleman says:

I love both prayers, and both are very timely. But I have to admit that I really LOVED the cartoon! I always wonder just who thinks they are doing any good at all by getting into an argument on the internet? I haven’t once seen anyone change their minds online. I have seen, however, lots of name calling, tempers flaring, and adults quickly reverting to two year old behavior……

• mitchteemley says:

It’s been a while since I’ve been chewed out online (lucky? blessed?). Last year, a mentally-disturbed (or possibly possessed) man threatened to call all the powers of darkness down upon me because I said I’d pray for him. You’re so rational and gentle-spirited, Ann, it’s hard to imagine anyone flaring up at you.

11. Jennie says:

Wonderful, Mitch.

12. carhicks says:

I am reading this on Thursday, not Monday , but Serenity is always a good thing. I did not know there was more to the Serenity Prayer. This part is very powerful. Thanks for sharing.

13. HAT says:

I would click “love” if I could.