Be Humble. Or Be Humbled.

A flight attendant once reminded MUHAMMAD ALI to fasten his seat belt. SUPERMAN don't need no seat belt! Ali replied. Yeah, well, Superman don't need no AIRPLANE, either, the attendant r

A flight attendant once reminded the legendary boxer Muhammad Ali to fasten his seat belt. “Superman don’t need no seat belt!” Ali replied. “Yeah, well, Superman don’t need no airplane, either!” the attendant retorted. Without another word, Ali fastened his seat belt.

“In the course of life, I have often had to eat my words, and I must confess that I have always found it a wholesome diet.” ~Winston Churchill

“Always tell the truth, do no harm to others, and don’t think you are the most important being on earth. Rich or poor, you then can look anyone in the eye and say, ‘I’m probably no better than you, but I’m certainly your equal.’” ~Harper Lee

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” ~Ernest Hemingway

This entry was posted in Humor, Popular Culture & Entertainment, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Be Humble. Or Be Humbled.

1. Reblogged this on Robin Luftig and commented:
    If you find humility difficult, ponder on these prize-winning quotes. Thanks, Mitch, for bringing them to our attention.

And to my blog followers who are not following Mitch Teemley, what’s stopping you?

2. Twinkletoes says:

I agree with Churchill that it may be wholesome to have to eat your own words. However. I’ve never enjoyed the taste. 😂

3. Is it okay to add a little salt when you eat your words?

4. joyroses13 says:

Wonderful quotes!

5. Powerful quote from Ernest Hemingway. I wonder at what point he gave up the battle.

6. wzippler says:

I have found that growth cannot occur until you are willing to admit that you are not perfect, and don’t know everything. Those who can’t humble themselves will be stunted in life.

7. wzippler says:

Luke 14:11 For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

8. nscovell says:

This may be a stretch but I would argue the biggest problems with young teenaged males is that they aren’t humbled.

9. tiostib says:

Thanks for the ever timely reminder of what it takes for good human being.

10. frenchc1955 says:

These are wonderful quotations!

11. frenchc1955 says:

Reblogged this on charles french words reading and writing and commented:
    Here is a wonderful collection of quotations on humility from Mitch Teemley’s blog!

12. notdonner says:

Humility. One of the reasons I am reading “If He Only Knew” by Smalley, and “Cherish” by Thomas. I made the statement that my marriage was – well, I could TEACH others, not that I needed more instruction….. yep. The thud (crater) that my ego made… I am now a humbled student….

13. Great quotes Mitch!

14. nancyehead says:

I especially like the Hemingway quote!

15. Beautiful thought. As they say think before you say

16. I thoroughly enjoyed these. If it were not for those great minds there would be no wisdom.

17. I can’t remember who said it, but it is certainly true: “It’s no disgrace to admit that you were wrong. It’s just another way of saying that you are wiser today than you were yesterday.”

18. Jennie says:

I love this!

19. CLEvangelism says:

I always love Muhammad Ali quotes and anecdotes. Thanks for sharing!

20. Awesome anecdote and quotes! Thanks, Mitch! 🙂

21. johnlmalone says:

great post. have bookmarked this page 🙂