Trusting the God of the Promise

13452712384_40636c2eb0_b

“Abraham did not waiver in trusting the promise of God…and so it was credited to him as righteousness. Now the words ‘it was credited to him’ were written not only for Abraham, but also for us.” ~Romans 4:20-24

Faith isn’t needed for the things we can see, it’s needed for the things we can’t see (Romans 8:24). So, what’s left for us to believe in? The one who made the promise. If I believe you’re going to take me to dinner at my favorite restaurant, it’s not because I believe in dinner or in the restaurant, it’s because I believe in you.

Abraham had faith in the promise of God, because he trusted the God of the promise.

When I was asked to write a new screenplay faster than any I’d ever written before (it’s slated to shoot just months from now), I anxiously prayed for help. Yes, God had opened doors for this project, but that didn’t mean I knew how it would all play out. I’ve learned to trust in God, not my assumptions about what he’s doing.

I nervously scheduled a screenplay reading by actors, which the executive producer would attend. Everything hung on its reception. Somehow I managed to finish the script, and then read it straight through it for the first time.

It was a mess!

“God, you brought me this far,” I prayed, “and it’s your project, so please keep leading!” And then I began to edit the mess. Almost immediately my anxiousness began to dissolve. Yes, the script was a mess, but somehow it worked. I just needed to chip away (as the old saying about sculpting goes) everything that didn’t belong.

So I did just that–with a remarkable sense of God’s leading–and two days later wrote in my Journal, “I can’t fully express how grateful I am for His presence, but I have to try. Because to look back later and say, ‘I came through in the pinch!’ would be to forget what really happened. No, make that Who really happened.” A skeptic might say, “Oh, you’re just spiritualizing your intuition.” Nope. I’ve had years to learn the difference. My vibes are about as dependable as fortune cookies. God’s promises, on the other hand, are as solid as stone (and considerably less stale than fortune cookies).

The screenplay reading affirmed what I’d written in my Journal. It was clunky–no one had read it beforehand, so they stumbled over my brilliantly clever dialogue (he said humbly)–but people laughed throughout, and at the end, they applauded! I felt something even better than exultation: I felt relief. Afterward, our executive producer took me aside and said, “Good! Now let’s make a movie!”

I’m so grateful for God’s leading on this project. But even more than that, I’m grateful for his presence. I have faith in the promise of God because

I trust the God of the promise.

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Religion/Faith, Story Power and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Trusting the God of the Promise

1. joyroses13 says:

This is a wonderful example of God’s faithfulness. Thanks for sharing it!

2. So happy for you. I have spent all winter and spring getting ready for my three pitches to movie producers. I’m such a novice at screenwriting ~ no lessons, no classes, no experience. When they see my puny scripts, will they laugh, cry, or feed it to their goats? Your 30+ years of experience and my zilch years of experience. Well, you deserve these new open doors. You earned it.

3. numrhood says:

romans 4:45-49
    romans 33:49 call unto thee

4. Beautiful and inspiring post Mitch. I love how you combine the grind with the sunshine. Partnership is key. Do all you can. Surrender and trust the rest. ☀️

Amen, Mitch! We trust our God of promise who has proven himself faithful over and over again. Thank you for this recent example from your own experience. (I love to hear stories of God’s participation in the lives of others!)

6. Len Freeman says:

great with this Mitch… and glad that hand was in yours…
    Blessings,
    Len

7. smzang says:

Congratulations,
    I never doubted!

8. Twinkletoes says:

Mitch, this was inspiring to me. Thanks for sharing your experience. It makes me wonder if I’m not trying too hard to “do it myself,” instead of just asking God to help me write.

9. This is a great story, and one that I have seen in my own life many times. Not with scripts of course, but many things in my life other people would consider to be failures I can see was really God trying to teach me something. Anyway, great post!

10. Yielding to God’s lead is never a wrong move.

11. Mitch, You continue to bring us the answers to WHY. “That” is the reason for continuing. Nice offering to those seeking.
    John

12. Tina says:

🙂 Great message! Thanks for sharing.

13. Ann Coleman says:

Congratulations! It’s amazing what we can accomplish when we simply believe. God does keep his promises.

14. Ron Whited says:

Wonderful Mitch. Though rarely easy, trusting the God of the promise is always the best choice. As you say, when we look back and see where He brought us from, that’s when we know that it was God who did the impossible.

15. hannahtk says:

That read like a bible story! So great!

16. Your walk of faith in all circumstances is such an inspiration, Mitch! Thank you!

17. Trust and faith works in God works for our greater good in this heavenly race