Sleep

My wife and I kept watch over our little house last night: she from midnight to three, I from three to six. Thanks to us, all evil marauders steered clear. As did sleep.

InsomniaA Dozen Thoughts on Sleep

“How do people go to sleep? I’m afraid I’ve lost the knack.” ~Dorothy Parker

“What delicious abandon in the sleep of the child. Where do we lose it?” ~Frank Herbert

“I’m not an insomniac. It’s just that my mind is in the best position to catch the weight of all hovering possibilities the moment I lie down.” ~Joyce Rachelle

“It is a special kind of homelessness to be evicted from your dreams.” ~Karen Russell

“Sleep is like a cat: It only comes to you if you ignore it.” ~Gillian Flynn

“There is no sunrise so beautiful that it is worth waking me up to see it.” ~Mindy Kaling

“The night is the hardest time to be alive and 4am knows all my secrets.” ~Poppy Z. Brite

“I won’t sleep if that’s what it takes to not wake up as myself” ~Casey Renee Kiser

“I’ve always envied people who sleep easily. Their brains must be cleaner, the   floorboards of the skull well swept, all the little monsters closed up in a steamer trunk at the foot of the bed.” ~David Benioff

“Peace while asleep is no great accomplishment.  But peace while awake for hours at night?  That takes a clean conscience, a thing that can only be acquired through hours of daylight scrubbing.” ~Mitch Teemley

“Go in the direction of where your peace is coming from.” ~C. JoyBell C.

“In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety.” ~Psalm 4:8

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Sleep

1. DeniseBalog says:

My favorite Mitch on nights when sleep is evasive, “The Lord is my Shepherd and I have no lack.” Then I count all the abundance of the day, and slip sweetly into a “no lack of sleep” sleep. 🙂 Excellent post. 🙂

2. Twinkletoes says:

I’m often on the 3 to 6 am watch. Then get sleepy just when I need to get up. Not a good way to start the day. ;-( Please let me know when you solve the problem.

3. HAT says:

Great!
    Here are a couple more for the sleepless wee hours:
    “Prayer is better than sleep.” (from the morning call to prayer in Islam)
    “My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast,
    and my mouth praises you with joyful lips
    when I think of you on my bed,
    and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
    for you have been my help,
    and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.” (Psalm 63:5-7)

4. My husband falls asleep within 30 seconds of hitting the pillow. I don’t get it! He claims it’s because his conscience is so clear! 🙂 Obviously mine isn’t!

5. joyroses13 says:

Great quote ironically enough I was awake from 3am til 6am early this morning too.

6. hannahtk says:

That’s fantastic! I especially love the jeopardy lay out.

7. Blended Hope says:

The insomnia Jeopardy is the best🤣🤣

8. Merry Lark says:

These are GREAT quotes on sleep/ insomnia. May I re-post this on one of my blog sites? (I think I know how to do it so it links back to you.) (Or you may instruct me on the proper way to do this!) 😀

9. schoen55 says:

Great! And so real as I was up at 3 am this morning (as often happens) with thoughts circling like vultures ready to destroy my very soul. Its good to know that I am not alone during those hours.

10. 😦 Sorry to hear this…but perhaps, it was important for both of you to keep spiritual watch over your home last night. I suppose we wont’ know for certain until we step into eternity. Hope and pray that you both get good sleep tonight! 🙂

11. Loved your own quote!

12. brunniegetchell says:

Great timing for this blog post. Woke up at 4:00am this morning… my body was still tired and wanted more sleep but my mind was wide awake. Please let me know when you come up with a solution for this mind/body disconnect. Loved your quote 🙂

Brunnie

13. I normally don’t sleep much. I fall asleep around 1 :30 AM and I’m back awake by 6:30. Evil Marauders? I have motion sensors and a security system that are custom made but there’s no early warning system like a Beagle mix.

14. smzang says:

The best of the best:

“Peace while asleep is no great accomplishment. But peace while awake for hours at night? That takes a clean conscience, a thing that can only be acquired through hours of daylight scrubbing.” ~Mitch Teemley”

15. Jennie says:

This is excellent, Mitch. Thank you,

16. alsavignano says:

Psalm 4:8 was one of my late aunt’s favorite verses. I had the privilege of reading this verse at her funeral.

17. Cindy Dawson says:

After finding a snake skin (but no snake) in my home one day, I went to sleep every night thanking God for this promise and repeating it over and over until I fell asleep. (true story)

18. Claudette says:

LOVE this! 🙂 Sleep is an important topic here…my kids are no longer babies (who didn’t sleep) and not yet old enough to be out at night (but will be soon) so I will take as much sleep as I can get to catch up from those early days.