Let there be Light

Many scientists are disinclined to believe in God (although poll numbers vary greatly). It is interesting to note, however, that among those who study science at its extremes, rather than at the bio-materialistic mid-levels, belief is quite high. A majority of quantum physicists, for example, allow for the likelihood of a creative consciousness behind the universe, which is now understood to be more concept than concrete reality.

“Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing, one with the very delicate balance needed to provide exactly the conditions required to permit life, and one which has an underlying (one might say ‘supernatural’) plan.” ~Arno Penzias, Nobel prize in physics

“I find it quite improbable that such order came out of chaos. There has to be some organizing principle. God to me is a mystery but is the explanation for the miracle of existence, why there is something instead of nothing.” ~Alan Sandage, winner of the Crafoord prize in astronomy

“We are, by astronomical standards, a pampered, cosseted, cherished group of creatures… If the Universe had not been made with the most exacting precision we could never have come into existence. It is my view that these circumstances indicate the universe was created for man to live in.” ~John O’Keefe, NASA astronomer

“The exquisite order displayed by our scientific understanding of the physical world calls for the divine.” ~Vera Kistiakowsky, MIT physicist

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.” ~Werner Heisenberg, Nobel prize winner and quantum mechanics pioneer

Thanks to SmartChristian.net for the embedded video!

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes, Religion/Faith, Videos and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Let there be Light

1. I’ve always been encouraged by the number of scientists, engineers and technologists who regularly attend my church. Many are even Christian…

2. Bill Sweeney says:

Great post and video, Mitch. Scientific discoveries, in the macro and the micro (DNA…) is getting so difficult for scientists to explain away. So many are throwing in the towel and giving in. When you and I were in high school learning about evolution, there was a general understanding that (evolution) would no longer be just a “theory” as science progressed. We now know that the exact opposite is true.

• greenpete58 says:

I don’t see any evidence that scientists are “throwing in the towel and giving in.” I also don’t see what evolution has to do with the video or selected quotes from physicists and astronomers. Nor have I seen that the theory of evolution is being increasingly discredited.

• An unbiased scientist would heed Christ’s words when He said, “If anyone is willing to do His will, he will know of the teaching, whether it is from God or whether I speak from Myself.” (John 7:17) Perhaps an unbiased scientist, when hearing this statement, would put it to the test. If they did, they would discover truth revealed by their Creator.

• greenpete58 says:

Scientists deal with science. They attempt to organize knowledge about the natural world using the “scientific method,” which utilizes empirical or measurable evidence through the five senses. “God” and “Creator” are terms associated with an individual’s faith, they differ from person to person, and cannot be measured or received by the senses. So this has nothing to do with scientists being biased or unbiased. Also, Christ’s (supposed) words are laid down (second-hand) in one book, but many people don’t subscribe to all the words or ideas in this book. I happen to think there are a lot of truths revealed in “Moby-Dick,” but I don’t expect scientists to put Herman Melville’s words to any test.

• True, man’s scientific efforts, confined to the material world, cannot prove the existence of the Creator who is Spirit. But to deny the revelation of the Son of God, who appeared in the flesh, is without excuse. That man, be he a scientist or layman, refuses to acknowledge the existence of God. One who is unbiased in their search for truth WOULD put Jesus’s words to the test. Excuses, no matter how they are reasoned, proves a closed mind. Consider this.

• greenpete58 says:

You’re now venturing away from the subject at hand and beginning to preach, so I’ll clock out.

3. HAT says:

As pithy and nice as that Heisenberg quote is, it’s questionable whether it’s been properly attributed to Heisenberg. There’s a discussion at https://fauxtations.wordpress.com/2016/08/29/heisenberg-at-the-bottom-of-the-glass/

4. greenpete58 says:

Video by Prager University, a “non-profit conservative digital media organization that creates videos on various topics from a conservative perspective.” (Wikipedia).

I like the quotes, though, which show that a FEW astronomers and physicists believe that belief in both science and God is credible.

Thanks for this great collection of quotes, Mitch. Greatly appreciate the insight of Werner Heisenberg (the last one). God is always waiting to prove himself (Isaiah 30:18), but he’s a gentleman. He does not force himself on anyone.

6. smzang says:

This should be shown in schools (from the viewpoint of science of course : < ).
    What a super neat way it would be to get God back into schools. I can't
    recall ever hearing of school shootings when the day begin with
    The Lord's Prayer.

Thanks, Mitch, for sharing the quotes and the video…a grand collection.

7. M.B. Henry says:

Oh I love that very last one – “The first gulp from the glass…” As someone who takes an interest in astrophysics (although I don’t plan on winning any Nobel prizes in that area haha) I really enjoyed this post.

8. I agree. Science and God are not mutually exclusive.

9. alslaff says:

Mitch, here is a short video that puts God and Science in a great perspective. It is still available on Amazon. Just 23 minutes. Title: Created Cosmos (A Creation Museum Planetarium Show) with Dr. Jason Lisle, from 2007 by answersingenesis.org

10. Thank you for the video, Mitch. I watched Nova – the Cosmos on PBS a few years back. It surely easier to believe there is a Creator than otherwise, with all the order in the universe!

11. oneta hayes says:

Even evolution demands a beginning. Science without God is just too hard to swallow.

12. Edward Sosa says:

How timely Mitch. I’ve been watching old debates from Dr. William Lane Craig and discussing with my son how we need educate ourselves in order to guard against this false notion that science and faith conflict with each other. Or that prominent atheist figures represent the science community. Thanks for sharing the quotes and video.

13. GILDASPOEMS says:

So the origins of life couldn’t possibly have happened by chance, at least not by logical scientific standards. One day I pray the mystery of an unknowable, benevolent, life giving creator God will be embraced & fully accepted by mainstream science. That is the day I think true progress will be made.

14. Ann Coleman says:

Personally, I get so tired of people who think that the story of Adam and Eve is the only possible way that God could have created the world. It is entirely possible to believe that God created the world without believing literally in the entire book of Genesis. (And nothing wrong with those that do believe in the creation stories of Genesis at all, I’m not trying to put down anyone’s beliefs.) I’m just saying that my God is the God of everything, including science. And I can believe in God without knowing just exactly how the universe was created, but I do believe that God is the one who created it. Just my opinion…..

15. Roos Ruse says:

Another excellent piece, Mitch!

16. Judging God by surface conditions, or by Renaissance art, is a waste of time. Werner Heisenberg has it nailed.

17. My wife and many others I’ve known worked in basic research or industry-driven research, and, for the most part, they were as religious or irreligious or else non-religious as is typical in the population. Most were Catholics, a few Episcopalians or even Lutherans, some Jews and Muslims, and a couple Buddhists and Confucians. Not many new atheist types. I mean, when you’re brainstorming about what this-or-that protein does and waiting for the centrifuge machine to go, it’s as monotonous or exciting as many other ordinary activities. I don’t buy the reports of vast numbers of atheists in the sciences. I doubt it’s much larger or smaller than the population at large.

18. Interesting quote from Peter Kreeft:
    “There are relatively few atheists among neurologists and brain surgeons and astrophysicists, but many among psychologists, sociologists, and historians. The reason seems obvious: the first study divine design, the second study human undesign.”

19. gpavants says:

Mitch,

So good and so true! Seek and ye will find.

Gary

20. So, it means Allah created the universe and life. Thanks for proving it. Some Hindu might say, Wow, now i believe Brama or Bhagwan created universe!
    My friend you are confusing existence of God with truth of Christianity. Christianity is not the only religion where follower believe in god. Almost all religion believe in creator god. Science is ever improving. Quoting 60 years old data will not serve the purpose. Carl Segan was a human, he can’t be right about everything. No human can. There can be a god but still Christianity can be Wrong!

• mitchteemley says:

Good to meet you, my friend. Actually, the above post only addresses whether an intelligent power (God) is behind the universe. I am, in fact, a Christian, but don’t confuse that with belief in God (or even mention my beliefs) in the above post. Re. The speaker’s mention of Carl Sagan: The fact that it’s an old quote is the whole point. It’s used to show how our understanding of the criteria for life on other planets has changed since Sagan made that statement.

• Even if intelligent power is behind it, how we know it is deist or theist ? Even a Deist god can create world and has noting to do with us like your ant analogy in other post.

• mitchteemley says:

That’s true. The video and quotes by physicists are only meant to introduce an argument for the existence of God. I’ve saved any discussion about his nature (deistic, theistic, or otherwise) for another time.
        And, by the way, I did not mean to suggest in my “Ants on the Sidewalk” post that God is a deistic being, only that without divine intervention we could never understand him.

21. Pingback: Let there be Light — Mitch Teemley Reblog – Life On The Lake