70 Years Ago Today

th

Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated seventy years ago today. As is always the case when misguided, violent souls murder the innocent, the end they sought was not attained. The fledgling Indian government denounced and distanced itself from everything Gandhi’s assassins represented.

Inspired by the nonviolent teachings of Jainism and the life and words of Jesus, Gandhi had pled for peace between the more violent Hindu and Muslim nationalist factions, and striven to stand in the gap between them. This drove his assassins to try and remove his influence. But in taking his life, they did the opposite.

True martyrs die preserving life, never taking it.

And therein lies their power. For love is infinitely more powerful than hate. Gandhi’s own children pled for the commutation of his killers’ death sentences (the assassins were, nevertheless, executed the following year). Their nation, like mine, is a work in progress. Love does not reign uncontested anywhere on this troubled planet. But neither has its voice been silenced, as witnessed by those Gandhi inspired, including my own nation’s modern martyr, Martin Luther King, Jr.

I hope I will never have to face the death that Gandhi faced. But if the time comes when I am called to stand in the gap between the innocent and the hateful, may I find the courage to do so.

May we all.

“And I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand in the gap in the wall on behalf of the people…”  ~Ezekiel 22:30

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God.” ~Matthew 5:9

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to 70 Years Ago Today

1. I loved this remembrance piece. Our focus is better spent seeking to understand then to undermine.

2. OwnShadow says:

Ever Since I saw Attenborough’s film ‘Gandhi’ I have been touched by the Mahatma’s example of selfless service to good. Einstein’s quote near the beginning of the film so aptly encapsulates his uniqueness.

3. A few years ago (very few) I thought back over all the years I had asked God for “a peaceful hour in which to die.” I decided I was wrong. I now ask God, “Let my death have meaning.”

• mitchteemley says:

A truly godly request, Katheryn. But not an easy one to make.

• There were three of us. We all teach in the same program. One was the founder who started it in Indonesia 30 years ago and now lives in Oregon. The other was a farmer in Texas and has concentrated on India, And there was me in Canada at the time. We brought up to each other how our students risk their lives to be Christians. “Do we dare ask more of them than we do ourselves?” After “talking” about it and “mulling it” for a couple months. I said, “I have decided I would die if it helped other and gave them courage.”. The other two said, “I have come to the same conclusion.” The one in Texas has died since then (in his bed), but the one in Oregon and I bring it up to each other sometimes.

4. numrhood says:

ezekiel 47:55
    matthew 5:34

5. Jon Kissner says:

Here, Here! Well put Mitch! May we all have the courage to stand in the gap when called.

6. M.B. Henry says:

Great remembrance, and beautiful thoughts and words to accompany it. Thanks so much for sharing.

7. revruss1220 says:

Thank you for that timely reminder… especially pertinent today as we prepare for tonight’s State of the Union speech.

8. Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing! 🙂

9. Jennie says:

Great post, Mitch.

10. Roos Ruse says:

I too wanna live like Gandhi. I especially appreciate that though Gandhi had no interest “Christians” (who actually turned him away from the church), he loved all people as Jesus does. He was a leader in the way of the cross. Yet another great post, Mitch.

11. Ann Coleman says:

The truths in this post are what give me hope for the future! There is a lot of hate and evil in this world, but there is also a lot of good and love. And ultimately, love is always stronger and more enduring. I’m with you, I hope I don’t have to take the ultimate stand, but if I’m called to do so, I hope I find the courage to do exactly that.

12. Though a martyr’s human voice on earth is quieted for a time, his blood cries out from all the earth. If we only had ears to hear.

13. He infuriated those who stood for division, both in India and in the West. His blood indeed still cries out, from all the earth. Who remembers the sadhu who arranged his death?

14. numrhood says: