I Want to Know…

• Why parents always proudly announce the birth of their “new baby.” Do some women give birth to old babies? Or used babies?
  • Why “go” means almost anything we want it to: “So, I go (say), ‘I have to go (use the toilet) before I go (leave).'”
  • Why people always deal with “odds and ends” together, but never separately.
  • If vegetarians eat vegetables, do humanitarians eat humans?
  • Why night falls, but day breaks. (They’re obviously both quite clumsy.)
  • Why oversee means to watch carefully, but overlook means the opposite.
  • Why there are no young fogies.

Presentation1

This entry was posted in Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to I Want to Know…

1. jrusoloward says:

Lol! Very funny. English is an interesting language.

2. trE says:

Haha! These gave me quite the chuckle, Mitch. Thank you for sharing!

3. Sandi says:

Good questions!

4. Ellen says:

Like when Groucho says “hello”, he really means he must be going.

5. Rhonda says:

Fun little post there, Mitch! One question: what does the word “fogie” even mean?

6. SarahC says:

couldn’t tell you, lol, but enjoyed the post! or why is a log standing upright a written thing anyways….. 🙂

7. Yes… our language is full of funnies! Thanks for the huge grins! 😀

8. I hope there will be a part 2 to this.

9. How did the word “used” come to mean something done frequently in the past? There was a comedian long ago who did a routine about plurals of words and how they made no sense. The only one I remember is one Kleenex two Kleensees. Wish I could remember more.

10. I never thought about “New babies” before. Now it’s stuck in my brain. Thanks.

11. shannenp92 says:

These are hilarious!

12. Jennie says:

I love this. It’s all true. Beeker is a fave from Sesame Street, and perfect for this post. Thank you, Mitch.

13. Thanks for the giggles! 😂🤪🤣

14. carhicks says:

Thanks for the laugh Mitch. , I am going to drive down the parkway before I park on the driveway.

15. Ann Coleman says:

Those are excellent questions, and I agree with all of them except for the one about “odds and ends.” I deal with “odds” all the time, and I’m related to most of them.

16. Dede says:

I’ve always wondered about the new baby thing. I also know some young fogies.

17. Paula says:

As someone with a thlight lithp, I’ve always wondered whose bright idea it was to spell “lisp” with an ‘s.’ And, coming from a family that fishes and hunts, it’s sort of cute that we measure our newborns in inches and pounds like something we snagged on the end of a hook. ;>) Maybe it’s just me…

18. Maybe we should collect these and write at book!

19. smzang says:

sometimes knowing the right question is just as good as knowing the right answer…

I love these questions!! : + )

20. And my favorite which my wise old grandmother told me in 1966 when a new Parkway opened in our city: “Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?”