Fools

Presentation1

“I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasn’t much improved my opinion of them.” ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

“To avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools.” ~Alice Walker

“Maturity is when your world opens up and you realize that you are not the center of it.” ~M.J. Croan

“Before God we are all equally wise–and equally foolish.” ~Albert Einstein

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Fools

1. CJ Hartwell says:

Good quotes all, but I especially love the Croan.
    Still grappling with it, from time to time. 😉

2. AliciaS says:

As a young adult, maturity is something I aspire to, but I increasingly find very few examples of it. I like your contrast between foolishness and maturity; it makes some sense out of life.

3. Insightful thoughts indeed.
    Especially Walker’s quote really made me think!

4. woodtic says:

We are too soon olt, and too late shmart. (Does that sound Dutch? it’s supposed to be)

5. The OT makes much of Wisdom. It was actually a prime value in those times. A “fool” seemed to be one who ignored those teachings, or even actively rebelled against them. Modern society would do well to make Wisdom a much higher priority than merely accumulating knowledge. Knowledge without Wisdom is impotent, or worse: dangerous.

6. M.B. Henry says:

Boy Einstein was witty with more than just physics, wasn’t he? 🙂 Nice share Mitch!

7. trE says:

The quotes by Alice Walker and M.J. Croan, I will remember forever. Thank you for sharing, Mitch!

8. Great quotes, Mitch! 🙂

9. jrusoloward says:

I guess, according to Croan, I have my mother to thank for my maturity. She was fond of telling me – from a young age – that the world doesn’t revolve around me. Lol!

10. E says:

So helpful. I love Alice Walker but especially loved this “Youth ends when egotism does; maturity begins when one lives for others.” ~Hermann Hesse

11. It is interesting that all the contributors were once, what they explain. Each revealed pieces of the puzzle that define the exact same thing. Really good stuff Mitch.

12. greenpete58 says:

“It’s better to be quiet and be considered a fool, than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt” (Abraham Lincoln, talking about Facebook)

13. Great quotes and all so true.

14. Pingback: Fools – S.T.W.R.N

15. I will just add one. Just thought of it…
    ” Fools are those who laugh at others, the genius laughs at himself.”