My Top Blog Posts of 2017

So, I’ve never done this before, and frankly it seems a bit narcissistic–as if the world revolved around my blog (but, then, it does, doesn’t it?). Anyway, for those few who don’t follow this blog site religiously (note self-mocking sarcasm), gratefully receiving every post like hungry, open-beaked little starlings, here are a few things you might have missed:

Most Read

1. Caterpillars Don’t Become Butterflies – First posted in 2015, this article has taken on a life of its own and become my most read piece ever
  2. A Filmmaker’s Journal: Best Picture NominationUpdate on the movie Over-the-Rhine, with Behind-the-Scenes photos
  3. Build Your House on a RockFirst posted in 2015, this second-most-read piece ever has been used by Bible study groups in several countries
  4. An Open Letter to President Trump – Posted at the start of the You-know-Who administration last year
  5. A Filmmaker’s Journal: Something Real – Thoughts on what “faith-based” movies should (and perhaps shouldn’t) be
  6. Theology 101What is essential? A professor provides an unexpected answer
  7. My Mother’s Death: An Irrational Joy – First posted when my blog was new, and re-posted last year, this is one of my most continuously read pieces
  8. Greedy Love – An unconventional love note to my wife
  9. Put the X Back in Xmas – First posted when my blog was new, and re-posted last month, this “Who knew?” take on the subject struck a chord with lots of people
  10. Gun Control vs. Self-Control – My response to the horrendous Las Vegas massacre–and others–last year

Most Liked

1. Greedy Love – See #8 above
  2. The “I Love You” Game – My response to a friend leaving his wife – still being widely read
  3. Love is Inconvenient – A brief poetic meditation on love – heavily reblogged
  4. My Mother’s Death – See #7 above
  5. Scheduling Happiness – Another memoir-fueled meditation on love (the most consistently Liked topic I write about)
  6. I Forgive You for Not Being Perfect – A meditation on father-son relationships
  7. The Lost GirlSad-hopeful thoughts on an old love
  8. Has Your Life Blown off Course? A companion piece to The “I Love You” Game (#2 above) dedicated to the young woman whose husband left her
  9. Fierce LovePersonal thoughts on parenting
  10. Don’t Follow Your Dreams – A re-think of the “follow your dream” idea
  11. Put the X Back in Xmas – See #9 above
  12. Eclipse – A metaphorical meditation (because metaphors are where I live)
  13. Facing the Future End-of-the-year quotes by some wonderful thinkers
  14. Gun Control – See #10 above
  15. Far From Home – Suicide, hope, and finding our way forward
  16. The Waiter from Hell? – A true story with a twist
  17. Engaged – Anniversary thoughts on making marriage last
  18. Another Thief on the Cross – Hopeful memories of another lost soul (see The Lost Girl above)
  19. Harvey Weinstein and the Whole Damn Thing – A personal response to the growing #MeToo movement
  20. Scapegoat – Thoughts regarding the “just us” nationalism trend worldwide

A Few Personal Favorites

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Memoir, Quips and Quotes, Writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to My Top Blog Posts of 2017

1. nancyehead says:

Love your writing, Mitch! God bless!

2. brunniegetchell says:

Love all your blogs but my favorites are from the Scar Stories…those really make me laugh 🙂

3. Thanks for blessing us with those posts! You always put a smile on my face. I’m think I’m fond of your Scar Stories, too. Those always crack me up.

4. Edward Sosa says:

I periodically pop in, and I’m always glad I did. I really enjoy your writing and learn from you as well Mitch. Got a good chuckle when I read this one; that too is a real gift. God bless.

5. joychibuzo says:

Thank you for posting this, Mitch. What a nice way to relax. Always worthwhile reading from you.

6. da-AL says:

Mitch – not at all narcissistic – found it quite interesting – wishing you & yours a great 2018 🙂

7. greenpete58 says:

I read your piece about stronger gun controls, and stronger Christian values in quelling America’s gun violence. Guns are one of those issues that really get under my skin, and I admire how you addressed it intelligently and rationally, and your patience in responding to several (longwinded) individuals who have “NRA” tattooed on their brains. I’ve had many discussions with these folks, and a favorite tactic is to pull “data” (often sketchy) and technical jargon about weapons to stymie and befuddle their opponents. Also, their arguments against gun “control” typically morph into accusations of gun “abolishment.” This tactic has proved real successful in convincing people to support their case: “Take away my right to defend myself?? How dare you!” It’s a smokescreen. Sure, there’s a small minority that would like to see all guns banned. But the Brady Foundation and other gun control organizations are only arguing for sensible restrictions to keep weapons out of the hands of juveniles, criminals, and the mentally unstable. The gun lobby’s “slippery slope” arguments have no basis in logic or historical precedence.

I could continue about the words and context of the gun lobby’s beloved 2nd Amendment to the Constitution, but I’ve already said enough. Anyway, thanks for fighting the “good” fight!

8. carhicks says:

I love reading your blog Mitch. I don’t know how I missed the caterpillar post though. Thanks for posting this.

9. Beautiful collections. Keep up the good work!

10. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

ALways great stuff!

Gary

11. You had some great posts in 2017, Mitch. I’m looking forward to reading your 2018 posts.