Destination

right here where you are

I want to say

healing awaits

because it does

But it is not here

It is in a place

to which you must travel

Why? you ask

Why can I not be healed here?

Because this place

is the cause of your affliction

Therefore you must leave

and take nothing with you

If you listen you will be led

and the One who leads you

will offer succor along the way

He will not, he cannot

take away your travail

but when you arrive

even before you arrive

the moment you see your destination

you will know

that the person who left

no longer exists

and the person who has arrived

is the destination

Ω

What is this? For years I suffered anxiety, so much so that I considered anxiety my defining trait. I prayed—begged—for God to take it away. And when he didn’t, I bitterly asked why he couldn’t do just this one small thing for me. But in the end, when the anxiety finally ceased, I realized that it had not changed, I had, and that that was why I was healed. God did not want less for me, he wanted more. Much more.

And he still does.

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Memoir, Poetry, Religion/Faith and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Destination

1. Love it, Mitch! Thanks.

2. Pingback: Destination by Mitch – Helping to change the world one life at a time | Odie Anderson, MS

3. Thanks for this beautiful piece. When we are in a bad place it is hard to believe that something better is up ahead. Our task is follow to the place where God is leading us and along the way journey into the person we are becoming.

4. Truth! Unfortunately our impatience (well ok, MY) often prolongs the climb out of the valley. We don’t understand that when we rush, we fall. But if we keep our eyes on Him and watch where we put our feet we will make it out! Good word!

5. Thank you, Mitch, for this. As one who, for some time now, has been gripped (in the best, more faithful, most fruitful of ways, I pray) on the business of becoming, this post speaks, sings wondrously to my soul. Again, my thanks

6. revruss1220 says:

I love this. Thank you for sharing your journey so openly with us.

7. wzippler says:

Reblogged this on Smart Christian.net and commented:
    To you who are

in emotional travail

who long for healing now

right here where you are

I want to say

healing awaits

8. I loved this so much, Mitch. Thank you for sharing.

9. wzippler says:

Thank you! I have been dealing with a terrible amount of emotional pain lately. This came at a good time for me.

“Succor along the way”–oh yes!! I don’t know where I’d be today if God had not been at my side offering his strength, comfort, and peace during times of emotional travail. He put certain scriptures, people, books, music, etc. in front of me to keep me encouraged and moving along (albeit at a plodding pace sometimes). Praise God he never leaves us alone! And day by day he uses all these experiences to grow us into better versions of ourselves. Powerful writing, Mitch!

11. M.B. Henry says:

Beautiful writing and commentary on anxiety. Thank you so much for sharing.

12. Great post.. loved it👌👌

13. Yes, one’s destination is oneself, in fullness.

14. Awesome. And I’m thankful for that change that brought you freedom.

15. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

Being creative has its blessings and challenges, right? I often think that our weakness are doors and garden pathways for the Lord to be present in our lives. He meets our needs sometimes by giving us needs. Thanks for sharing.

In Christ,