The Biggest Event

Presentation1

We plan our lives around big events, birthdays, marriages, moves to new places. So why do we ignore the biggest event of all? Death. Shouldn’t that, more than anything else, affect the way we live?

And if there’s even the slightest possibility of an afterlife, could anything else be as important? Would you plan your move to a far away land–with a culture and language totally unknown to you–by focusing on what to have for lunch before you go?

Has anyone ever truly lived who was not prepared to die?

“How strange this fear of death is. We are never frightened at a sunset.” ~George MacDonald

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Biggest Event

1. It’s funny, I’m not afraid to die. After surviving wanting to have commit suicide, I want to live more now than ever before, but I don’t fear it. Isn’t that a bit strange?

2. I’m not afraid of death, more just if I’m a burden during. πŸ™‚ Been to ‘those’ funerals (as a child) with open caskets & memories of stupid family members arguments. I want to be cremated, ashes through to the winds over the ocean! That’s how I want to celebrate death!

3. Pingback: Great thoughts to contemplate – by Mitch – Helping to change the world one life at a time | Odie Anderson, MS

4. Once you have children (or get married), it is very important to get a will.

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” William Wallace

5. Amen, Mitch. “Jesus didn’t die just to get us into heaven, He died to get a bit of heaven into us.” When we leave this world, we should leave it so full of heaven already, that all we are doing is stepping from one room into another.

To go along with my dark humor, somebody once told me death was nothing. We’ve already endured the most painful, traumatic, experience of our lives, birth! Naked, bloody, cold, screaming….

Perspective is everything. πŸ™‚

6. ellie894 says:

Well said 😊

7. redeemedview says:

“And if there’s even the slightest possibility of an afterlife, could anything else be as important?” – Right! We are just way too distracted with the cares and wants of this life. sigh…

8. BelleUnruh says:

Death has always been very real to me, even as a child. I suupose it is one of the main reasons I ran to God. The thought of life forever with God is so exciting and appealing to me now. I don’t fear death, but I worry about how I will die. I know I should just trust God about that, so I pray.

9. Very eye opening. I am very unprepared for death. The fear of dying does not scare me ,but the fear of the people I leave behind does. I will no longer be there for my boys or my family. Death is a real mystery in itself. Hope it does not come for me anytime soon. At least not until I have really lived lol As of now there is still so much I want to accomplish!! Need a bucket list so I can start scratching things off
    I am a starting up entrepreneur that would love any feed back on blogging, passive income or any other knowledge you may have to offer if possible?? Thank you in advance if you are able too. I love your blog!

10. Nice reflection. Being acutely aware of the inevitability of death could intensify the way we live.

11. carhicks says:

I am not afraid to die, I know what waits me there. Having said that, I am not done living yet. I think that is the biggest thing, there is always something more we want to do. I want to be here to participate in the life of my grandchildren and there is so much more that I would love to do in life.

12. Roos Ruse says:

Excellent point, Mitch (yet again). I became familiar with death when I was very young. I bemoaned the cruelty of each loss for the early part of my life. Our gracious Lord took His time teaching me to trust Him in all things, and especially with death. Now I too am quite prepared to die, but better prepared to live. I’m happy to see here that we’re all in good company!

13. jrusoloward says:

True! But you can’t let the inevitability of death control your life. Although that’s not really what you’re saying, it’s important to make that distinction. Live a good life in anticipation of the afterlife. Although if you’re post on how science is making it possible for us to live forever is believed…. πŸ˜‰