Opposites

opposites_attract-56685They say, you know “they,” they say it’s a fact

that Opposites nearly always attract.

And yet Opposites also sometimes attack.

So why don’t we simply give ‘em the sack?

Because Opposites are relational crack,

they cling to our teeth like emotional plaque,

and build up inside our intestinal tracts.

So here’s a thought, let’s make a pact

to never take any more Opposite flak,

no matter how much the deck is stacked.

We’ll rule the game like what’s-his-name, Shaq,

and debug the hearts they so heartlessly hacked!

Aw, who am I kidding? I know I’ll fall back

into the abyss next time I’m distract-

-ed by that woman who has a knack

for stretching my heart on a riotous rack.

Because, in the end, the intractable fact

is that all of the parts I seem to lack

are there in the woman whose heart is wracked

by me, the Opposite she can’t give back.

This entry was posted in Culture, Humor, Poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Opposites

1. Creative, Mitch. Lots of truth poured out here. Thanks!

2. nancyehead says:

So true. Nicely crafted. God bless!

3. Jung would heartily agree, and add that if we bothered to do the work we need to do on our own development, we wouldn’t always try to complete ourselves by finding our opposite…

• mitchteemley says:

There’s a lot to like about Jung, but I’m not sure about that idea, Rita. I don’t think we’re made to be complete in ourselves. Of course, opposites can be too opposite, but partners who are too much alike seem to me to be a sign of narcissism, or conversely insecurity, or?

• Yes, I agree. I probably didn’t capture Jung quite the way he would have liked. There’s a rather dated book by Harville Hendrix called “Getting the love you want” that does a better job of explaining. And it is probably more dimensional than dichotomous anyway. But I do think, to speak in gross and somewhat inaccurate generalities, men benefit from developing their feminine self rather than seeking a hyper-feminine woman, and vice versa…. Anyway, as always, your humor and willingness to be a bit provocative are great.

4. Ha! Very creative, Mitch.

Recently I’ve been enamored by a similar theme, by the creative tension of opposites. Men and women for example, hopefully on the same side, but it is the tension between us that leads to love. Many things in life are like that, we tend to long for sameness and unity, but it is within the tension that all the good things are born.

Who else but you, Mitch, could take so many rhyming words and put them all in one poem that not only makes sense but includes a wise lesson as well? King Solomon would have loved it. He had the same idea, but chose analogy rather than poetry: “As iron sharpens iron, so one man [and woman!] sharpens another” (Proverbs 27:17).

6. And I’ve been meaning to connect you with my friend and pastor, Steve Garnaas-Holmes, who posts a meditation a day… You’d like each other, I think…

Steve Garnaas-Holmes

7. M.B. Henry says:

Excellent! I really enjoyed reading this – great work!

8. The opposites who wrestle, who grapple, end up imparting truth to one another- if their minds and hearts are open.

9. Ahhh, here’s the answer to the cryptic comment you left for me 😉 Love it! Yes, we find our complements in our opposite. And together form an unstoppable team… at least that is my experience 😉 Enjoyed this so much, Mitch! 😀

10. Entertaining, and insightful at the same time! “Opposites are relational crack” — haha, couldn’t agree more. Great work, keep ’em coming 🙂

11. Roos Ruse says:

SecondSon says, “That’s whack.” 😆

12. I draw so much from my opposite (the wife), however, I feel she gets a little short-changed by me—but it all works. Nice one, Mitch. Oh… Happy New Year! :O)

13. gpavants says:

HI Mitch,

Great stuff. So true. But with God all things are possible, right?

Gary

14. MC Mitchy Mitch spittin rhymes like the rapper that he is. Grins. Great work brother!