Happy New You!

Light breaking through1

“Anyone who belongs to Him is a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun.” ~2 Corinthians 5:17

I became a Jesus follower in my mid-20s, and have spent much of my life since sharing his heart-transforming message. And yet some old patterns of thinking and behaving, some of the old person, persisted. It was as if I were using two conflicting operating systems. Not surprisingly, this caused frequent crashes!

“Kindle afresh the gift of God that is in you.” ~2 Timothy 1:6

So, four years ago, I recommitted myself to abandoning the old operating system and relying exclusively on the new one. But I couldn’t accomplish this on my own.

“Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given to do, and then sink yourself into that.” ~Galatians 6:4

Hungry for consistent functionality, I began downloading “apps”—memorizing, meditating upon and praying Scriptures—words I’d read and appreciated in the past but hadn’t fully lived by. For the first time, God’s way of thinking and doing—interfacing with that new person operating system—began to be my way of thinking and doing.

The process of becoming a new me isn’t complete. Neither have I finished “the work I have been given to do.” But the change has been palpable, powerful, and more transformative than anything I’ve ever experienced, apart from that original new person download. So I welcome the new year anticipating new apps and new upgrades, and excited to see what new things my Creator has in store!

“Beloved, we are God’s children, and what we will be has not yet been fully revealed. But we know that when Christ appears, we will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is.”   ~1 John 3:2

If you haven’t already, I invite you to join me in welcoming not only a new year, but…

A new you!

33 Responses to Happy New You!

1. Amen! Love this. Sometimes you just have to defrag the old hard drive,upgrade the software, replace some broken drivers. 🙂

2. Now that’s what I want – to be more like Jesus in 2018 than ever before.

3. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing your journey with us! Nothing better than a complete overhaul by Abba! Happy New You and all the rest of us, too!

4. John sayers says:

Blessed to have this sent to me, blessed to have you as a friend.

5. atimetoshare.me says:

Always works in progress, God is mold

6. atimetoshare.me says:

Sorry for my large thumbs. God continues to mold and punch this old clay, preparing me for what lies ahead. Happy new year Mitch😀

7. Great stuff, Mitch. Happy New Year!

8. David Cosier says:

May you continue to prosper as a new creation grafted into the true vine, for there is no life like His life, and there is no life apart from Him, but with Him, you can do all things.

9. DeniseBalog says:

Happy New Year Mitch!! I love your new on the solid foundation of “The New Testament”! Thank you for sharing and your friendship throughout this past year! Happy New Year!!

10. If my eyes aren’t strained, I read one chapter from the Bible every night — on my Kindle!

11. Ann Coleman says:

I really appreciated this post, Mitch. Too often, I hear from Christians who reference being “saved” as if their journey was done. I can’t relate to that. For me, it’s a process of learning to be open to God’s word and will, and to the personal growth that comes from being open to that. I see it as a journey, rather than a “one and done” sort of thing. Of course, this is just how I look at it and I’m not interested in making anyone else share my views, or arguing about it. But for me, this post was affirming, and I want to thank you for that.

12. 1 John 3:2 — Is a GREAT reminder that as God’s children we are ALL in the process of becoming, we can have joy in that process and confidence in the end result.

13. DebFarris says:

Aww Mitch, this is inspiring. I’m so grateful for the new wonderful writers like you that God has brought into my life. May we be open to receive all He has in store for us as we keep our eyes on HIm. Here’s to that amazing new upgrade! Bountiful blessings to you, Deb

14. revruss1220 says:

Great stuff! Here’s to a more Christ-like 2018 for ALL of us!

15. Relatable! Thank you for this! 🙂