Facing the Future

untitled

A new year looms, and we ponder the road ahead, a road that existed long before we arrived and will continue long after we are gone. Yet each of us has a role to play in this epic journey. Here are a few of my favorite quotes about facing the future:

“The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far ahead the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can,

Pursuing it with eager feet,

Until it joins some larger way

Where many paths and errands meet.

And whither then? I cannot say.”

~J.R.R. Tolkien

No matter how closely we to stick to our plans, we’ll come to unexpected forks, and choices will have to be made:

“I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I–

I took the one less travelled by,

And that has made all the difference.”

~Robert Frost

But will those choices matter? Yes, they will:

“You can’t control your fate by refusing to make choices. I didn’t discover my destiny until I faced my circumstances. It’s about making choices you don’t want to make; that’s what decides your destiny!” ~The Wishing Map

Putting it more positively:

“You have brains in your head.

You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You’re on your own.

And you know what you know.

And you are the one who’ll decide where to go.”

~Dr. Seuss

But how do you choose? May I humbly suggest you seek the One who made the road?

“Show me, O LORD, my life’s end and the number of my days. Let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth. We are phantoms, bustling about in vain, heaping up wealth without knowing who will get it. So now, Lord, where should I place my hope? I place my hope in you. ~Psalm 39:4-7

At the end of The Once and Future King, King Arthur faces near-certain defeat. And yet, he ponders,

“The fate of this man or that man was less than a drop, although it was a sparkling one, in the great blue motion of the sunlit sea. The cannons of his adversary were thundering in the tattered morning when the Majesty of England drew himself up to meet the future with a peaceful heart.” ~T.H. White

And let your drop shine!

34 Responses to Facing the Future

1. Inspiring advice… in the end God gave us all our mountains and knows we can conquer them in His Grace.

2. These thoughts are so beautiful and meaningful to me as I face 2018. Thank you for the reminder that I play a crucial role, all the while being aware it’s not about me. Thank you for sharing inspired words to encourage weary heart. God bless.

3. Steph McCoy says:

Excellent quote selections. Happy New Year!

4. Yes, I have faced several forks in many roads, and will continue to face them. The road over the next few days even has a fork or two. 2018 will chock full of them. I will choose carefully, in any case.

5. Reblogged this on Beckie's Mental Mess and commented:
    Hello All, This was an absolute Reblog… Mitch Teemley. I certainly hope you enjoy this as much as I. Thank you for such a great piece, Mitch!

6. smzang says:

“A peaceful heart comes from knowing it’s not about you, but that you have a crucial role to play, nevertheless. So face the future with confidence,”

You saved the best for last.

7. Jennie says:

Thank you, Mitch!

8. I love the way you put these quotes together to communicate a powerful message of encouragement. It doesn’t hurt that you’ve included my favorite authors and their books–you included! 😉 Happy New Year, Mitch!

9. joyroses13 says:

So glad I found your blog. You listed some of my favorite quotes and made a beautiful post out of it!
    Perfect for the start of a New Year!

Love the Tolkien line about pursuit with eager feet. My prayer would be that I’d stay focused on the road before me, remembering “It is God to whom and with whom we travel, and while He is the End of our journey, He is also at every stopping place” (Elizabeth Elliot). Praise God he is with us every step!

11. Great choices for the future. Love them all and Once and Future King is one of my favorites.

12. Such wisdom! Thank you for sharing.

13. Prachi says:

It’s inspiring 🌻

14. Thank you for the interesting quotes and story! I am always interested in others thoughts, and it great to share like this. Hopefully you could give my page a view and any suggestions you may have for a new blogger! Thank you very much 🙂

15. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

You bring the voices of great writers into this conservation. What a great reminder that the best is yet to come. Keep forging, walking, and leading others down the path the Lord has laid down for you.

Gary