Happy 5th Anniversary of the End of the World!

endworldOn this date five years ago, a series of cataclysmic events destroyed the world.

Or not.

It all began with the end of a 5,000 year cycle on an ancient Mayan calendar. Which we knew to be completely factual because, dude, those Mayans had it goin’ on. Soon, experts in a number of unique (made-up) disciplines, showed the inevitability of:

1. Our planet being sucked into a formerly undetected black hole (I hate it when that happens);
  2. Earth’s collision with the hitherto unnoticed planet Nibiru, the world from whence emanated our alien astronaut ancestors (man, I love alliteration);
  3. Or any number of other selfie-inspiring events, including a sudden, instantaneous quantum leap in human wisdom and intelligence.

Yeah, that happened.

There was, however, a much more obscure event that really did change the world as we know it. It happened in a tiny village called Bethlehem. And strangely enough, over 2,000 years later (unlike the end of the world 5 years ago) no one seems to have forgotten about it. Because the baby born that day has changed more lives than any other person in human history. Including mine.

Yours?

This entry was posted in For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Popular Culture & Entertainment and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Happy 5th Anniversary of the End of the World!

1. My latest Roger Tuckerman letter involves the planet Nibiru.

2. greenpete58 says:

Your essay is humorous, but misleading. From Wikipedia: “Professional Mayanist scholars stated that no extant classic Maya accounts forecast impending doom, and that the idea that the Long Count calendar ends in 2012 misrepresented Maya history and culture.”

I’ll add that various Christian faiths have a long tradition of forecasting an apocalypse, many of which have already been proven untrue (also a second coming of Christ).

Everyone’s entitled to believe what they want to believe. And believe you me, their beliefs come in all shapes and sizes!

• mitchteemley says:

Pete, no slam intended toward real archeologists and scholars–it was pseudo-experts who predicted the 2012 apocalypse. Re. Christian apocalyptic predictions: such “scholars” are equally illegitimate–Jesus himself said no one but God knows when such a thing will occur (Matthew 24:36).

3. Amen! My world has come crashing down around me a few times,but that event 2000 yrs ago still stands. Sometimes too, when the world ends it’s not “the end.” It’s only the start of something new.

Sometimes I think it’s really good we’re not God. He sent a flood once, but we tend to come up with these doomsday fantasies every few months and then we turn them into a Hollywood disaster film, at least in our minds. It’s such a part of our culture, I can actually annoy people sometimes. He’s just going to come quietly, like a thief in the night. No meteor attack, no big explosions, no heroic opportunities, sorry. Spoiler alert, it’s all very peaceful.

I’m just kidding, all we really know is that panism is true. That just means it’s all going to pan out in the end.

4. Six years ago this month, my doctors started me down the road of cancer treatment. At first that seemed world ending, but just turned out to be personal world changing. That 2,000 year ago event has help to keep my world from ending.

5. This post brought smiles, chills and joyous tears! Thank you, Mitch, for this beautiful reminder of the impact of that “One Solitary Life.” And amen! Merry Christmas, Mitch! Your friendship is a blessing, indeed!

6. Reblogged this on The Recovering Legalist and commented:
    It’s a little difficult for me to type right now, so why not do some reblogging? Here is a great little post from Mitch Teemley.

7. Paula says:

To answer your question, “Yes.”
    And, most of the people on this planet measure the calendar in terms of Jesus’s birth: B.C. and A.D. Some are oblivious to that fact.
    We live in ‘the year(s) of our Lord’ because He’s a living Lord. oorah! ;>)

8. Ann Coleman says:

The fact that 2,000 years after his birth we still know who Jesus is speaks volumes. And yes, my life is different and better because of his birth!

9. carhicks says:

Absolutely! My life and outlook on life is so much better because I know him. Amen!

10. joychibuzo says: