Impatience

untitled“Perhaps there is only one cardinal sin: impatience. Because of impatience we were driven out of Paradise, because of impatience we cannot return.”  ~W. H. Auden

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Humor and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Impatience

1. schoen55 says:

The story of my life, Mitch. A tough lesson to learn. Thanks for the reminder.

2. chris jensen says:

Within sadness, humanity will learn!

3. claire says:

Hmmm not sure I can agree with this one. I would say pride not impatience (of course pride often leads to impatience).

4. Stan says:

Where does the Bible suggest impatience was the cause of the fall?

5. oneta hayes says:

I guess some of us question Mr Auden. In a round about way, maybe. Selfishness, rebellion, pride, disobedience play a part. I really question that God was ever going to tell them they had permission to eat of the tree – even if they had waited ever so patiently. How do you feel about this quote? Did you post to stir the pot? 😀

• mitchteemley says:

Good point, Oneta (see my comment to Claire, above). P.S. I really don’t think Auden was trying to make a literal/theological statement so much as he was a statement about human nature.

• oneta hayes says:

I join him in hoping sometimes that people do not question what I write with a lexicon in hand! I have one coming this week that I love but don’t know that it would pass muster for a critical critic. I’ve said before that mostly I deal in the concrete – about third grade level. So I withdraw my “punninish.” 😀

• mitchteemley says:

No withdrawal needed. Spirited, thoughtful debate is a good thing!

6. Interesting discussion and thoughts here. You continue to make us all think, Mitch! Love your posts.

7. John S says:

Hi Mitch,

I am not sure what it was impatience that drove usout orr keeps us out of paradise.   Itwas our breaking away from a relationship with God that got us out.  It was His death on the Cross that gets usback in.  That is if we accept thatgift.  Happy New year old friend and havea Merry Christmas.  Let me know if youwant to know why I started with Happy New year, or try to catch my FACEBOOKLIFE, Monday at 7 PM. Hi Mitch,

8. Pingback: Cardinal Rule – Helping to change the world one life at a time | Odie Anderson, MS

9. Nyara says:

Such a nice thought, early in the morning before work (for me here, at least)… 😁

10. toutparmoi says:

Interesting. I hadn’t heard this quote before. I suspect the word might be Curiosity, as in “I know I shouldn’t do this, but let’s see what happens when I do.”

11. Ann Coleman says:

Sadly, it’s a sin I have not yet left behind…

12. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

So, true. Isn’t the opposite of that so true, “the patience of the saints to keep God’s word and faith in Jesus.” It will overcome the world. Wait and see what God does gets us out if so much trouble. You got it,

Gary