What’s Your Happiness Baseline?

Have you ever noticed how your happiness baselinethe bundle of things you consider essential for satisfaction—constantly shifts? That’s because it’s based on what you’re currently used to, and what you’re currently used to is, well, current. Presentation1

I recently grumbled about having to drive to an ATM in order to deposit a check. And yet, not many years back I thought ATMs were the bees knees: “Woo-hoo! I don’t have to go inside the bank anymore!” Now I consider ATMs primitive, and expect all of my banking to be done online. My happiness baseline shifts. Constantly.

Perhaps it would be easier if, instead of trying to meet these constantly shifting expectations, I were to remind myself–every time I start to grumble–that only two things matter: I am loved. And I have a purpose. No shifting sand there, just solid rock (Matthew 7:24-25). It’s time to move my happiness baseline to a new address. Or, as the case may be,

Remind myself where I live.

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to What’s Your Happiness Baseline?

1. Okay, now you’ve got me humming. “On Christ, the solid rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand”
    By the way, not to disparage the hymn, but when my husband was in seminary he and a group of students performed a different rendition. All I remember is the beginning: “My hope is built on nothing less, than manuscripts that don’t exist…” 😉

2. A check? People still write checks? 😲😲😲😲😲

3. Yoly says:

Very true, I need to find my baseline.

4. bdeckard92 says:

Yes sir! move your baseline… or move your checking to a bank that has mobile deposit like mine, I snap a photo of the front and back of the check and it’s automagically sent to my account! seriously though it is easy to get caught up in our inconveniences and issues, but taking the time to check in to some gratitude and remembering that all we need is God’s love really helps to keep perspective. And you can take that to the bank!

5. Excellent, Mitch!! Love your perspective!

I once read a list of things that the current H.S. graduating class knew nothing about: typewriters, record players, rotary dial phones, etc. In their place they had always had access to computers, CD players (now even those are old school), cell phones, etc. Seems like the speed at which the baseline moves is escalating also. I’m with Lynn, above–appreciative of your perspective that brings us back to the Rock.

7. brunniegetchell says:

Great reminder of what happiness could really mean 🙂

8. @vapor_sage says:

I like to say, in jest, when I go grocery shopping that I got the team hitched up to the wagon and drove to town to replenish provisions for the month.

9. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

I often wonder of the Lord allows those comfortable things to fade for a time Tj remind us where our happiness is, as you said. My dad often was blessed by a hot shower after not having them fir a time. He is the cake and those things are like frosting.

Gary

10. dont you think the happiness is in our nature and is a fundamental aspect of life.. thats all. Every single action of a human being starts because we think it will make us happy…

• mitchteemley says:

I think the “pursuit of happiness” (U.S. Declaration of Independence) is fundamental to human nature, yes. Can’t say I think every action we take is because we think it will make us happy, though. We do things for other reasons, as well: duty, to avoid pain, moral/ethical beliefs, etc. Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs comes to mind.

11. numrhood says: