Love Hurts

Presentation1“Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn’t it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up.” ~Neil Gaiman

“Honey, if a girl likes you, that’s nothing. But now if she hates you, that might just be love.” ~Over-the-Rhine (early draft of screenplay)

“We accept the love we think we deserve.” ~Stephen Chbosky

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.” ~C.S. Lewis

“Love—real love—is patient and kind. It is not jealous or boastful, proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable. And it keeps no record of being wronged.” ~1 Corinthians 13:4-5

This entry was posted in Culture, For Pastors and Teachers, Humor, Quips and Quotes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Love Hurts

1. Forrest Pasky says:

The 2nd quote is the best. 🙂

2. Nice collection of quotes.

3. Ahhh……Great quotes.:)

4. “The first cut is the deepest” is my favourite quote about being in love. The hurt of heartbreak gets easier as you get older I believe.

5. “We accept the love we think we deserve” . . . . Indeed!!!

6. Josh says:

I really like the first quote love doe sure feels like that sometimes. Have a great day!

7. E says:

Those scissors! Is that your artwork? 1 Corinthians MSG is on a chalkboard in our kitchen. I blame all terrible fights on low blood sugar 😉

8. I love all of these… and the image is the perfect visual to accompany them! Of course, I’m a huge fan of C.S. Lewis. I find myself nodding and saying “yes, yes” to just about anything he has written… much the way I respond and feel about your posts, actually. 😉

9. WolfOfJudah says:

Nothing compares to the simplicity and complexity of God’s Word, and I really liked the quote by C. S. Lewis 👌🏼

10. gpavants says:

Hi Mitch,

So true, do true. Love the quotes and the fact that love is a risk. You know what song I love that brings that point out is Broken Togeher from Casting Crowns. The video is powerfully on that theme.

Thanks brother,